Question re life of alkaline batteries

I am about to replace the `d` batteries on my wireless alarm box (yale). I purchased fresh batteries that have a best before of 2019. The alarm states 2 years or more for the life of the batteries. The alarm is rarely used, maybe 4 times a year but thats for switching it on and off and it has never gone off in anger yet. With this rate of usage should I get pretty near the `best before` date before having to replace again or is there some other reason once installed they would consume the power from the batteries.

You might want to consider lithium non-rechargable AA cells for that application.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

OK "D" cells, but the lithium suggestion still stands.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Ditto. Energizer Lithium AA's in an AA to D adapter and maybe he'll never need to replace them again

An aside perhaps. I use a couple of Yale wireless alarms. They're about as good as wireless kit gets imho. Presuming your bellbox is at some altitude. If you can securely do so, it might be worth rigging up a remote battery supply. Through the wall to a location of your choice. Makes changing battery process much easier. Stay with alkaline batteries. The cost of more modern batts is not worth the expense. I tried a mains powered power supply, didn't work. Spoke to Yale about this. They said 'it won't work'. They were right but I do not understand why. Just my 2d's worth. Nick.
On 08/08/2013 17:13, Nick wrote:

I like the idea of a remote power supply, I am not electronically minded so is it a simple enough job to do. Anything that saves me going up a ladder is good in my book.
I'd imagine the whole idea is to make it tamper proof ie with any wires from bell, you can cut them, no bell.
As for why mains supply won'dt work, who knows. I guess it depends how sensitive the things is to ripple. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active