Queries

Do other people detest sites like Ask.com and Ask Jeeves ? There's nothing more infuriating to me than entering a question in the likes of Google and getting responses from sites like Ask.com and Ask Jeeves. Instead of attempting to answer the question, they list dozens of sites which may (but often don't) provide an answer your question - often simply repeating the question ! Is there any way to block them from responding to queries ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

put -ask.com or -site:ask.com in your search entry

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Even more do I detest the Ask toolbar and updater. That sneak into systems all over the place when installing something else (e.g. Java).

Reply to
polygonum

Can't say I've ever noticed them in the search results...

Reply to
Adrian

I hate them with a passion too. It was good when search engines were just that, now they are advertising media. So many results from a search have no relevance to your search terms, other than the advertiser has put part or all of your search term in a list of catch-all words and phrases.

Reply to
Alan (BigAl)

Such "search" results will appear in separate places (and on a yellow background) in google.

Reply to
John Rumm

Check your browser for plugins that may be directing you to these sites. You should not be seeing them as part of normal google search results.

Also if you want to suppress "paid for" results (and other ads) install Adblock in your browser.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yellow? I see pink!

Reply to
polygonum

OK, I installed Adblock. I then searched on Google for "door latch". As far as I can see every result is a commercial posting.

Reply to
Alan (BigAl)

Commercial companies will appear in the "organic" search results as well if they have enough relevant content on their pages, and inbound links. That is not the same as "paid for" ads though.

Repeating your search on google.com with adblock disabled, gets me two paid for ads at the top of the screen in the tinted box. Then some pictorial links, in the "sponsored" section.

After that its just sites that talk loads about door latches - probably not surprising that screwfix et al are there along with winkypedia since they have hundreds of indexable pages that include the search term.

Tweak the search to say "door latch installation" and wikis, youtube videos etc become more relevant and get listed first in the organic results.

Reply to
John Rumm

How does one do that?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Go to the site and click install (it'll detect your browser):

Nick

On Wednesday 13 November 2013 21:16 Jim Hawkins wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes.

is one. There are probably browser extensions too - it mostly comes down to adding lots of "-inurl:ask.com" type arguments to the search

Reply to
Tim Watts

learn to google fatso

Reply to
Judith

On Thursday 14 November 2013 11:25 Judith wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Bit of a nobber aren't you?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I googled fatso and it came up Judith. Am I a malware victim?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Even worse, a psycholist....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Bit of a pity I don't need to google fatso, a mirror is sufficient. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Mind, I have been wondering if the OP actually has the Ask toolbar installed and is searching from there rather than a normal search. It could explain a preponderance of Ask results - which I don't often see.

Reply to
polygonum

Yup, that poxy thing does often get bundled with lots of software downloads - so its worth paying attention to what you are accepting and clicking on!

Reply to
John Rumm