What are these things I bought at an auction?

"Rick" wrote

All welding cables I have seen have been made up of fine strands of copper. I don't believe I have ever seen one like them wired in a building. I think it would be so they are pliable, and easy to bend.

I once bought two PALLETS of welding cable at a government auction at the Nevada Test Site. My pickup was groaning and farting by the time I got back to Vegas.

I made a little more than gas money on that deal. ;-)

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

At an auction tonight the auctioneer was about to no-bid a large lot of crap, so I offered $1 figuring there had to be something in there worth $1. Immediately 2 people offered me $3 for stuff I would have left behind otherwise; so I actually paid -$2. I can't imagine why they didn't bid, except maybe they didn't want it all.

Included was about 150' of hardwood dowels in various sizes that I will use eventually, 5 rolls of screening I need to repair all my cottage screens, a

50' rubber air hose, and a plastic barrel that I was planning on buying for a swim platform (well that is a mixed blessing; now I have to buy 3 more for about $15 each). Also a few other things that I will hold to because they are too nice to throw out; like 100' of heavy rope, a new wax toilet seal, and hardware for bifold doors. Not bad for -$2.

But also included were two other items, and I hope someone can tell me what these are:

A 6 piece Lenox Vari-Bit kit. I know they are for drilling holes in sheet metal (at least I think that is what they are for) but why 6 pieces that are all more or less the same size?

20' of #2 welding cable. The scrap copper ought to be worth $5 by itself, but what is it used for?
Reply to
toller

toller wrote: ....

That I don't know...

Its name just be a klew???

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Snip

Jumper cables for next winter?

Reply to
Warren Weber

Whatever you do, don't put "lenox vari-bit" into a Google search. You might figure it out without looking foolish.

What the f*ck would you *think* welding cables are used for? You're a real winner, aren't ya?

Reply to
Dan C

I did, and it doesn't. I only look foolish to a fool.

Damn you are an asshole. Obviously they are used for welding, but what makes them different from any other electrical cable? If you don't know the answer than shut the hell up. And if you do know the answer, then give it instead of being a jerk.

Reply to
toller

pieces that

You're a

They're a lot more flexible-much finer wire than a #2 conductor used in electrical wiring...

Reply to
Rick

Can they be used as a #2 cable, in the unlikely instance I ever need one? Thanks.

Reply to
toller

toller == TROLLER ???

Reply to
MikeP

Then you're even more ignorant than it appears. That search produces all the info you could ever want on that.

You didn't ask "what makes them different", dipshit. You asked "what is it used for". Look above at your words that I quoted. Were you born this stupid?

Reply to
Dan C

What was it in your case? Were you born stupid, or did you just practice a lot?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

He may have been borne stupid but you sure seem to have grown into quite the asshole.

Reply to
wkearney99

Another winning post from the useless Dan C.

Reply to
Mark

If they don't carry the right markings then they would not be code-compliant for household wiring. I would *assume* that with the right terminations they would make a fine set of jumper cables, but there may be caveats that I'm not thinking of. Actually, I am thinking of one: the insulation is probably not weather-rated and probably not flexible in the cold, so you might be risking it cracking and exposing the conductor when you boost your car next January.

I would also expect jumper-cable clamps to cost more than pre-assembled cables in a carrying case. That's what I always find when I try to make something out of what I already have.

Chip C

Reply to
Chip C

Most welding cable is quite nice, actually. I suppose there is cheap Chinese crap available these days, too, but normally it is very good stuff.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The guy was asking a question. If he wasn't ignorant, he wouldn't need to ask.

On the other hand, you appear ten times as ignorant, because instead of answering his simple questions, you blasted him.

Perhaps if you were just a bit smarter, you could look past exact wording, which is fine in contracts but doesn't always happen in Usenet, and decide that he would like to know what ELSE they could be used for, or why they are different. Your thoughtless knee-jerk reaction shows you go to newsgroups just to slam people who's only crime is asking questions. You might want to try surfing p*rn sites instead. It would be far less pathetic.

Pagan

Reply to
Pagan

"Pagan" wrote

Ignorant, to me, means never having heard the answer to something. Once you have heard it, you aren't ignorant any more if you don't choose to take it in, but only dumb.

Truly stupid people are ones who refuse to learn.

And "ignorant" can also mean those who think they know everything. IMHO, anyway.

We all can learn something every day. Lots of things every day. By observing. By asking questions. By reading. Where would we be, though, if all the smartass pompous ignorant know-it-alls were in charge instead of people willing to pass along knowledge in the sacred relationship of teacher/disciple. (disciple means student in the dictionary, and has nothing to do with religion, BTW)

I hope I never stop learning.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Toller,

The Lenox web site shows a 6 piece kit. The diameter and the angle of the cone vary from bit to bit. I'm no expert but I suspect the small dia., acute angles are to drill through tougher material. #2 welding cable is a #2 gauge cable that is suitable for welding. I've seen it used in auto jumper cables. As copper it has value. I do not know if it can be used in situations where a continuous current is intended.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

The only problem with welding cable is that it's not designed to take 650A+ at 12VDC. The hair thin copper wire is designed for high welding loads, but believe it or not, starting a car draws higher current.

I suppose for a quick jump, it may not be an issue. I wouldn't want to use it on a regular basis (as some hot-rodders do) to relocate a battery for weight distribution.

Reply to
Mark

I dislike using the word ignorant. Most folks consider it an insult, even when they don't think they know everything.

Well said.

Pagan

Reply to
Pagan