Quality of electrical fittings.

Hello all,

Recently I replaced a pull-switch in a bathroom which was knackered with one from B&Q. I can't recall the manufacturer (it's at someone else's house, miles away) and after a whole 2 months, it has broken, and pitch-black midnight micturition has returned to blight their lives.

Can you please recommend a manufacturer that makes an item likely to last longer than 2 months?

The switch is not really abused mechanically as I made sure to make sure the string was higher up than the toddlers can reach.

With thanks,

David Paste.

Reply to
David Paste

There's an MK in this house (bathroom) which I fitted in 1978 when I rewired. It is used a few times a day. Is 38 years of life enough?

Reply to
charles

Warning that there was discussion here a while ago that the quality of the MK "made for B&Q" products was lower than you'd get from (say) CPC or CEF.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bet you can't buy that switch anymore.

Reply to
JHY

The one in my bathroom is a little older than that, and still in use. I did need to replace the cord in about 1985, and got some from the mechanical workshop at Granada Studios where I was doing some work. The stuff I got was used to move ribbon microphones along those giant studio booms. Mr Plowman will know what I mean.

It's proved to be practically unbreakable

Reply to
Graham.

En el artículo , David Paste escribió:

MK. Worth every penny.

I'm slowly replacing all the sockets in my properties with MK 2747 ones.

white/15747

They come up on special offer from time to time.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

'course, that presupposes that 2015 MK quality is the same as 1978 MK quality...

Reply to
Adrian

Just wonder whether a small section of elastic/shock cord added to the pull cord might reduce the mechanical shock somewhat.

Reply to
Robert

IME old switches have a much softer and quieter action than modern ones. I'd think that the operational stresses were lower, leading to longer life.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Yeahbut the ones MK sold 38 years ago might be better than the ones they sell now. Charles, would you consider sending him your 38 year old one?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No , since I'd have no light in thebathroom. ;-(

Reply to
charles

It might, but you know those rare occasions where the light pull slips from your grip and ricochets off the shower screen at high speed? Imagine how much worse that will be with added bungie cord ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

No reason ever to buy such fittings from B&Q as they're not even the best price.

Go to a decent electrical wholesaler. Can't see one selling rubbish.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Mike Barnes escribió:

That's because they were 2A, whereas modern ones are obliged to be 6A.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

NIMHO

Reply to
ARW

A few years ago MK did a value brand that was really poor. It was available in both wholesalers and B&Q.

ISTR is was called "Select"

Reply to
ARW

Which is why whe we re-wired this house all the bathrooms have an external 'normal' switch, so people aren't woken in the night by the noise of the pull-switch.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

En el artículo , ARW escribió:

OK then, recommend something.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

ARW

En el artículo , ARW escribió:

Look like MK knockoffs. Even the socket design is the same, down to the chamfered upper edge.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson