epoxy carbon fibre

Has anyone experience of using carbon fibre instead of fibreglass for repairs? It looks like I could darn using the roving.

I often do small repairs on chainsaw bits that have broken and used fibreglass and epoxy successfully to repair the plastic and aluminium allow fuel tanks but wonder if using carbon fibre may be any better, especially as I end up itching all over after playing with the fibreglass.

Reply to
news

I have no idea whether or not carbon fibre will give you a better repair than fibreglass, but I suggest you Google "carbon fibre" and "irritant" if you think you will solve your itch problems by using it.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Carbon fibre is stronger than glass fibres and makes a much stiffer structure. Used in aircraft for lightness. But not worth the added expense for stuff on the ground where weight is not an issue.

Reply to
harry

It is finer, though, so might be useful on very small repairs. Not that I have actually tried it.

Reply to
newshound

You mean the woven stuff? You can get that in glass too.

You _could_ go epoxy carbon, but you'll just add epoxy allergy to your problems. Wear gloves instead.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I was thinking of trying

to stitch parts together before applying the epoxy, a bit like the way copper wire was used to hold mirror dinghy together during production.

I'm repairing old discarded saws from 30 years back that have lingered in the back of the shed when I retired them, just to get the "vintage" collection going again.

AJH

Reply to
news

Not had a problem with epoxy, just the glass fibre as I fiddle cutting it to shape. I do wear nitrile gloves. I already use glass fibre cloth for the main repair and reforming new bits, mat for larger areas.

AJH

Reply to
news