PVC-U Frames - Gaps

I recently had new windows fitted, and the frames fell short in height in some areas of upto 30mm.

|-------------------| Brickwork | |about 30 mm of space |-------------------|Top of Frame | |

The way this was solved, was on the inside, the strip usually used to cover the mess around the edges of the window, another length of this was used to cover the hole.

On the outside, more pvc stuff, no idea what it is, but about 60mm high was used (glued/stuck to the frame to cover the gap). There was nothing inside this gap, does this matter?

Pre to this "patch" you could see straight in/out to/from the house, to give idea of a 30mm hight by about 1500mm "hole".

The gap was between the top of the frame and the brickwork.

What I mean, is should there be anything inside this gap, or is this OK, or is it going to be a heat escape route, as well as a route in for the rain. I've read stuff about rubber foam etc...

All the other windows/doors fit perfect no problem.

Reply to
Timmy

Looks like a seriously undersized frame. Get the people back in to explain.

There may be a legitimate reason for the low head - perhaps so that the sash can clear a deep facia underhang when opened.

Too many possibilities to speculate here. Looks dodgy. Call the company.

-- Mike

Reply to
C M Harding

I agree. I hope you haven't paid for it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks to both of you.

I think what has happened, is the previous window was not great, and its self had been patched up (pre to me moving in). When they've taken it out, I think most of the cement or whatever it was above the old frame came down with it, now they have a correctly sized frame that just got too short.

If my reasoning is correct, what should have been done? Could they have used the same frame but done something about it, or would it

*have* to be a new frame?

It looks ok, no problems there, concern is with heat loss/damp/noise or whatever else can/will go wrong.

Reply to
Timmy

I had the same issues but mine were filled with expanding foam for noise issues. I am sure they only did that because I asked at the time what they planned to do with the gaps and they also knew I held the cards as I had not paid for the work. Steve wwwiukspeedtraps.co.uk

Reply to
abc