replacing cast iron soil pipe

Has anybody got any tips for taking down a cast iron stack. We need to replace ours with plastic. plan number one was to whack it with a lump hammer and hope it breaks into small enough pieces to carry down a ladder. plan number two is to cut it into manageable pieces with an angle grinder. my main concern is how easy it will break up hitting it with a hammer.
Paul.
Did this recently - angle grinder is the only "controlled" way - and even a 3' length is very heavy!

I did this 18 years ago, with a lump hammer and working off a ladder. It wasn't a lot of fun. For safety, if for no other reason, it would be much better to work off a scaffolding tower or similar platform. The iron does break up quite easily but wear goggles, gloves and ear defenders!

strung together this:

What's wrong with taking it down in one piece, it got up there in one piece!
--
SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Lurch wrote:

And a nice strong mattock is the tool for riping the pipe plus brackets off the wall without too much damage!
--
Cheers,

John.