burning my own rubish

am i alowed to do it? i tend only to burn paper and wood and boxs...but can i burn plastics without breaking the law?

ta

steve

Reply to
usenet.plus.net

In message , usenet.plus.net writes

your neighbours may break your neck!

Reply to
stejonda_privacy

One of my neighbours burns her rubbish regularly - it's ****ing annoying! :o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

There used to be (AFAICR) a "convention" that bonfires should be only had in built up areas after sunset. This seems a reasonable compromise - people have got their washing in and, in the winter at least, have retired indoors. I only wish people followed this convention. One could suggest this to neighbours as a first try.

My definition of "bonfire" includes garden rubbish, wood and cardboard. Burning plastic, rubber, oily rags etc., is, by any measure, bl**dy anti-social unless you are miles from the nearest neighbour (IMHO of course).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

usenet.plus.net posted:

Yes .. though unwritten etiquette would suggest speaking with the neighbours first, and/or starting the fire when it's getting dusk, so all the local washing is taken in .. )

Yes, provided it's 'normal' household type plastic waste, such as rubbish bags etc etc. If it's rubber tyres, UPVC window frames or some other 'commercial' rubbish then you may stand a chance of a call from Health and Safety officials rather than 'the law' ..

Reply to
Paul - xxx

IMO, avoid putting any sort of PVC or rubber on the fire. Polythene, and polypropylene and PET are all fine, as long as the fire is hot.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

usenet.plus.net

I am in the lucky position of being some quater of a mile from my nearest neighbour!

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Very doubtful, see:

'd expect the same applies here.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Pete C posted:

Why would what happens in Canada have any relevance whatsoever on laws govering UK ?

I do, of course, refer to the required Canadian permit, not the actual burning itself .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

anything in the garden. There is also a regulation about causing smoke with a certain distance from a major road. If you're in the country side like us, every other person has a regular bonfire. We just wait for the right wind direction to avoid setting fire to the neighbours thatch! Hmmmn Northerly expected this weekend, I think the matches are coming out...

The Q

Reply to
the q

I knew someone would say that =)

I posted the link to save time, rather than cut and paste the relevant bits, which were:

"Old barrels or wood stoves do not reach high enough temperatures to destroy many of the dangerous chemicals created when plastic burns. Municipal solid waste incinerators such as the double chambered incinerators at the Energy from Waste Plant can reach a temperature of

1800 degrees Fahrenheit (982 C), providing plenty of oxygen to complete the burning process. Barrels and wood stoves only tend to smoulder and smoke, releasing plumes of toxic fallout into your backyard and the surrounding community. In addition, this leaves you with potentially hazardous ash, which is not appropriate to spread on the soil.

Plastic such as PVC (polyvinylchloride)is common in such things as vinyl siding, bottles and jugs, vinyl tubing, drainpipes, blister paks, etc. Care should be taken never to burn these at home, as carbon monoxide, dioxins and furans are released into the air. Studies have linked dioxins and furans to cancer and respiratory disease.

Plastic agricultural silage wrap, wire insulated with plastic, and plastic containers should never be burned in the open air. There are recycling options available for many of these products."

I doubt a bonfire burns above 982°C...

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

not in a smoke free zone.

Also to burn this stuff, and not end up with very dangerouse smoke, you need very high temperatures.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

how hot do garden incinerators get then?

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Mmm.. My open wood fires get hot enough (ultimately) to melt cast iron grates....wood burning stoves can be EXTREMELY hot.

Or not, which is possibly the point.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

According to my neighbour who has been known to burn tyres on a sunny bank holiday afternoor, "Yer can do wha' yer likes round 'ere"

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks