push-fit stop-ends ?

Apart from the several houses I have re-plumbed over the years and the plumbing I have done in my factories in addition to the airlines that is. As I said much earlier in this thread, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

In short virtually no experience of domestic hot and cold water systems. Take heed. Pushfit presents more problems than any other sort of fitting. Stop trying to be a know-it-all.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In article , Doctor Drivel writes

No, not as far as I can tell, you are easy to track though as you continually use the same phrases "ramping up land prices" is one, just stick any of your stock phrases from your long winded posts in google and it picks them out, you're very predictable and repetitive John.

Reply to
David

Is there any reason why you didn't quote the preceding sentence by any chance ? :-)

"It is for this reason that hacksaws should not be used. "

:-)

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

In message , Mike Dodd writes

Depends on the type of fitting, Hepworths Hep2O fittings use a sort of barged ring (it's actually plastic with metal 'teeth'

Reply to
chris French

The ones I bought the other day are "JG" branded, and they appear to have metal barbs sticking out of a sprung plastic guide.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

So, I have been doing domestic plumbing for over 40 years. I have been using push-fit fittings for at least 20 years. And your precise qualifications for dismissing this as 'virtually no experience' is what?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

John Guest/Speedfit fittings are invariably used in the drinks dispense industry. AFAIK, every pub in the country uses them for both beer and gas lines. I certainly wouldn't use them in my bar if there was any risk of wasting just one drop of amber fluid, or filling my cellar with CO2/Nitrogen.

Reply to
Steady Eddie

It is a long time since I ran a bar and even then it was the type where being able to spile and tap a barrel was the most important skill. I presume the gas uses the same system as the Speedfit airlines, but with different coloured tubes. Out of interest, do bars these days need an annual statutory inspection for their compressed gas systems as factories have to have for their compressed air systems?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

IIRC the statutory inspection requirement in industry is for "vessels" over a certain volume. Pipes are not included in the schedule. Again subject to recollection it was annual for steam plant (14 months max) and 26 months for compressed air/gases. (It was twenty years ago so please check these figures before accepting them)

Reply to
John

The current regulations are the Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000, which define a pressure system as follows:

'A ?pressure system? means

(a) a system comprising one or more pressure vessels of rigid construction, any associated pipework and protective devices (b) the pipework with its protective devices to which a transportable pressure receptacle (gas cylinder) is, or is intended to be, connected; or (c) a pipeline and its protective devices, which contains or is liable to contain a relevant fluid, but does not include a transportable pressure receptacle.

?Relevant fluid? means (a) steam (b) any fluid or mixture of fluids which is at a pressure greater than 0.5 bar above AP, and which fluid or mixture of fluids is (i) a gas, or (ii) a liquid which would have a vapour pressure greater than 0.5 bar above AP when in equilibrium with its vapour at either the actual temperature of the liquid or 17.5ºC, or (iii) a gas dissolved under pressure in a solvent contained in a porous substance at ambient temperature and which could be released from the solvent without the application of heat.'

The requirements are less stringent if the system is less than 250 bar litres.

Inspection periods are 6, 12 and 24 months and that is set when the written scheme of examination is produced or reviewed. My air system is inspected annually, with internal examinations of the air recievers at 24 month intervals.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Thanks for the clarification Colin

Reply to
John

Bertie, you are deluded.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Only on a DIY basis, you told us. And any professional who installs pipe in anger would totally disagree with you. Only cowboys use pushfit on a blanket basis. Why? because it give more problems than any other type of fitting. Not the plastic pipe, all pushfit, plastic, brass, and copper fittings. Many professionals now have gone over to using plastic pipe and brass compression fittings because it is more reliable and cheaper too. It is also easy to dismount which most pushfit is not.

A lot more than you believe me.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yep because that sentence says it all and it is clear what they mean by it. What they say is a clean, sqaure, burr free pipe edge and there are many ways of getting that without buying an expensive plastic pipe cutter. If you can't get a clean, square, burr free pipe end using a "variety of tools" you should not be touching pipe as you are cak-handed.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In article , Doctor Drivel writes

You're talking bollocks again John, so either its just the usual trolling or you really don't know, its probably the latter as your sources tend to be handymen buying cheap tools in Aldi

That's the trouble, nobody does believe you, you seem to have theoretical knowledge but very little practical experience, everything is quoted as "I know someone who..." a sad case

Reply to
David

From which we conclude that you're cack handed as well as not being able to follow manufacturer instructions .......

Reply to
Andy Hall

Bertie, "seeming" can be dangerous. Take heed and take it in well, then you will benefit.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Which are these "we" Matt? Matt, you don't even know how to screw in an immersion heater. You are sad case.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The only evidence for that appears to be that you installed it wrongly once and it, unsurprisingly, did not work. Against that, nobody else in this newsgroup has reported any problems, we are informed that the system is standard for beer and gas lines in pubs and I know that push-fit is widely used in high pressure gas systems that are subject to regular statutory inspections, which they would not pass if there were any doubt about their performance.

In other words, the types of fittings I have been using without problems for the past couple of decades.

Why should I take that on nothing but faith, when you have already demonstrated that you don't even know not to cut a plastic pipe with a hacksaw when using push-fit couplings? You remind me of the gardener at a friend's flats, who, when asked not to cut a bush in autumn, because it should only be pruned in the spring, retorted that he had been gardening all his life and didn't need to be told what to do. He still cuts the bush back every autumn.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar