CH. push fit stop ends

I'm planning to replace a radiator in my conservatory, which is tee'd off the main CH circuit. Now there will some time (a few days) between chucking the old radiator and installing the new, smaller, one.

The plan is to freeze the pipes after the tee junction, cut the pipes and put some "cupro fit" compression stop ends over the pipe ends. Then, when the new rad. appears re-freeze, remove the stop ends and plumb in the pipework with straight couplers onto the open ends.

Now, about the preparation of the pipes before I cut them: they are currently painted over. I plan to remove the paint with fine wire-wool and use a circular pipe cutter to make the cuts. Will this ensure a good enough fit to the compression joints, and will I be able to just pull/twist off the stop ends when it's time to install the new radiator? Or do I need to cut back the pipes further?

Your comments and suggestions would be welcome

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

Why no put an isolator valve on each pipe. You won't have to freeze it a second time, then. If you want belt and braces, you can put end stops on as well - and then re-pipe from the isolators onwards. Normal service valves have bores which are quite a lot less than 15mm - but that won't matter unless the pipes are feeding a really big radiator - say more than 3kW - in which case full bore ball valves would be better.

Reply to
Set Square

Pete,

Sounds ok to me. Some things to think about.

1.Make sure you get all the paint off the pipe before fitting the stop. A hot air gun is best, i take its gloss paint. 2.Remember compression fittings distort the pipe so allway cut well back from the old fitting when you come to replace.. you can just normally replace, never works for me. Fittings are cheap so why skimp? goes for the raditor too. radiator valves are cheap. 3.Do you have enough space to get the pipe cutter on. if thep ipe is against the wall it can be a problem. One of these new tiny cutters or a sharp harcsaw is best. I like to rub down the area where the olive goes with a bit of fine sandpaper before fitting.

Kev

Reply to
kevin foote

Cuprofit fittings are push-fit, they are not compression. Which one do you mean? Cuprofit is probably better than compression if you want to reuse the same bit of pipe and of course is slightly quicker to fit.

You cannot simply pull off cuprofit stop ends - you will need a release tool - cost 49p from screwfix (part number 17365) ...you slip it on the pipe and pull fairly hard.

Pipes must be clean and paint free before fitting.

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

Use Speed easily demountable, or better still compression stop ends.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

...and a little silicone grease will ensure that they are demountable other wise the pipe and fitting are lost.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Best use compression as they are easily demountable.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel