Purpose of concrete-in metposts?

ote:

nd some had a hedge against them which will have increased the damp.

sted through the wood?

The preservatives are really nasty. If this is for an aviary project your should get the all metal free-standing panels.

OR Nail pieces of thin metal on to the posts so the birds can't get at the wood. Very important.

Reply to
harry

lts of burning in a confined space are. =A0I can imagine plenty people stic= king some on their log fire in their living room.

They no longer use arsenic and copper. I believe it's chromium now. Still pretty nasty stuff. You shouldn't burn old preserved timber. The arsenic gets into the soil and henc into vegetables grown there.The smoke won't do you any good either.

Reply to
harry

some had a hedge against them which will have increased the damp.

through the wood?

It is my old and now rotted away outdoor aviary.

I now have an indoor aviary with pre-made wood panels. I don't know what they're treated with, but it was surface coating only.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

burning in a confined space are. I can imagine plenty people sticking some on their log fire in their living room.

I'm sure plenty people use old wood on their fire or wood burning stove instead of buying fresh stuff.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I always fix my fence with concrete spurs - then there's no wood below ground level. And I never concrete them in, just ram the sand firmly.

Sand is what we have instead of soil - in fact I understand Bagshot Sand is well known to gardeners and we're not far away. This technique might not work as well in clay.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ