Problems with 12V and 5V lines on a PC ATX supply

Why do (cheap? expensive ones may be better) PC ATX power supplies need current drawn from the 5V line to make the 12V line work correctly?

I have a PC with 3 graphics cards running scientific applications. I acquired three old graphics cards that take about 300W each, and have loads of cheap (CIT) PSUs that are rated at 650W on the 12V line, which is what those cards use. So I run each card off its own supply. But the 12V line at no load, or even at 300W, is only giving out 10 to 10.5V. If I attach a small dummy load of an amp or so to the 5V line, the 12V line suddenly becomes 12V.

Why are the two lines related in any way?

Sorry for the crosspost, I'm not sure which of these groups are active.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Sorry for the mention of sorry the crosspost, that was for the (rather dead) electronics groups :-)

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On el cheapo SMPS the primary supply is the 5V whose feedback controls the conversion transformer. The 12V supply is derived from the same transformer so if the 5V is not breaking into a sweat not enough current is available in the transformer secondary to get the 12volts up to regulation.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Ok, I do have a degree in electronics, but it was a very long time ago. Can you go into more detail?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Can't be arsed. Have you heard of Google?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

You already know the answer, put a load on the 5 volt line and all will be well.

Reply to
newshound

Yip, tried it, not the sort of thing that seems to have been discussed much. I found a discussion on stackexchange, but all anyone said was "The ATX standard requires the power supply to be within 10% of the correct voltage, at ANY loads". So clearly my cheap PSUs are not adhering to the spec, and assuming I'll take 5V from them aswell, but I want to know why this happens and why anyone would design a PSU in such a weird way. The mark space ratio to feed the 12V line and to feed the 5V line have to be seperate, to allow for varying loads on each as the computer runs. So how on earth could they be linked?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I know the workaround, I want to know WHY this makes it work.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Maybe because its not well designed.Switch mode supplies tend to be designed with a minimum load in mind in my experience. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

AS I said, its all part of the fact that its switch mode, and the regulation is not a classic series regulator, its a feedback loop controlling the oscillation of the switch mode part, its all interconnected. I first encountered this weirdness many years ago when a pc I had had some tacky bright leds all down both sides of the front, making it look terrible and for me making my failing sight rebel. So I thought, simples, unconnect them. It was then that the pc decided it either would not start correctly or would not shut down an and lots of tother things went weird. Reconnecting the leds and all was well again. In the end I hid the leds in the case. Out of sight out of mind. I expect the spiders enjoyed it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

I can understand it going off with a high load, but zero or low load is just weird.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's weird. Surely the LEDs weren't the only thing drawing power at that voltage?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There's a group sci.electronics.design that still has life. They might like the diversion from arguing the merits of the electoral college.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The scottish wanker loaded the same question to all the electronic groups at the same time. Playing off one set of groups against the other.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Playing off? WTF are you talking about? Since I don't inhabit those groups, I don't know which have any traffic or anyone who can answer, hence I asked in all the relevant ones.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I shall try it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You are asking all the same f****ng questions as you have done here - and amazingly getting all the same answers. But still you persist.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Of course I'm asking the same questions in different groups, to perhaps find someone who has the intelligence to answer them.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Did you get your "Does a parrot's foot conduct electricity?" post answered on the s.e.design group?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I understand alright - that designers are morons.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey