Running notebook off 5V USB supply

I have an Acer Aspire S7 - is it possible to configure the USB port so that a male USB to male USB cable with one end connected to a 5V USB female will power the notebook?

Reply to
Simon Mason

No!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

How does it normally accept power? Check the manual for info.

My Asus T100 (not the liquid metal Terminator) only accepts its power from an external micro USB PSU connector. Needs a 2.1A one too or the thing loses charge if run whilst charging from a lesser unit.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Not in a useful way.

Reply to
dennis

The 19V PSU is rated for 65W, if you wanted to get that much power at 5V port, it would require 13A, how thin would you like your USB lead?

Even with type C ports, that support higher voltages, the list of laptops that support charging over USB is pretty short latest macbook google chromebook pixel HP spectre X2 latest dell xps13 others?

Reply to
Andy Burns

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

You could charge at it 1A, it would only take thirteen times as long :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Fair enough - when I go to Penzance on Monday I will have to take my mains charger on the train.

Reply to
Simon Mason

Can I ask how long you spend every day dreaming up stupid questions?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He's in training to be City Of Culture Usenet Ambassador ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

There's a story by Henry Kuttner in which the small crew of a spaceship contains various experts including a space psychologist. Unfortunately the space psychologist was useless at everything he attempted and the crew would laugh at his non-stop incompetence.

After the mission back on earth, it turned out the space psychologist was actually a clown from the circus. The whole time his only purpose had been to make the other crew members laugh at him.

I wonder if Simon is a DIY psychologist? :-)

Reply to
pamela

No.

Are you sure the notebook runs on 5 v? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

Presumably the sort of culture that grows in Petri dishes.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Watch for the next one.

Reply to
Simon Mason

obviously he works for the EU.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So at the moment he is a City Usenet New Trainee.

G Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg