PC power supply ratings

Background: I've been asked to "have a look" at a family members LCD TV. It's a small 17" Toshiba and a first look at their house suggested the external power brick had fried. The brick is rated at 12V / 7A. Having taken the thing home, I had a tinker last night and tried running the TV from an old AT power supply. This is has a sticker on the side wich claims it'll provide 12Volts at 10A - sounded promising. When I hooked it up (jerry-rigged, natch!) I did get some life: The sound crackles a bit and the TV comes out of standby, but the backlight doesn't fire up - though you can see, very dim "static" on the screen. Sounded a lot like a fried inverter. Out of interest, I checked the voltage coming out of the power supply. Off load it measured 10.6V. When the TV was on standby I got 9.5V and when the TV was "on", the supply dropped to

7.7V (which may not be enough to fire up the backlight inverter).

However, I was rather taken aback by the voltage drop. The TV spec. says it pulls a maximum of 55Watts - so it does appear that this PSU can't get anywhere near the 10A it claims. I'm off to try another PSU tonight, but until then the question is: should I get such a high drop for what is supposedly well within the PSU's capacity?

Reply to
pete

The PSU may be able to output a total of 10A at 12V, but it may have more than one 12V rail (2 x 5A for example)

Reply to
Toby

You may need to load the 5v rail as well. Some of these power supplies are not happy off load on the main 5v supply. Try drawing 1-2a from the

5v rail.

Chris K

Reply to
Chris K

In article , pete writes

[...]

PC power supplies (AT or ATX) need a load on the 5v rail to regulate correctly. Plug a couple of old hard drives into the Molex connectors to provide a load and you'll probably find the 12v rail comes up to where it should be.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Thanks Chris, that nailed it. I dug out an old 4.5GB SCSI disk and that put enough of a load on to keep the 12V line up to 10+ Volts which was sufficient to get the TV running properly. Now to find a new power supply for it ...

Reply to
pete

yes: this is well known amongst the fraternity who use these things to power 12v eqpt. a couple of ohms across the 5V is needed..only that is stabilised..the 12V sort of comes as an adjunct to that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

pete brought next idea :

It probably needs to have some sort of load applied to the 5v rail, to get the 12v output to work properly.

Easy way to prove it, is to plug an hard disk in - just to provide a base load for the PSU, then connect the TV.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield