Problem with electric hob

People here were really helpful when I posted about a kitchen re-fit last month and I'm hoping someone can help me again.

In a flat I let out, I have a two-ring Zanussi hob which you can see here

is fitted into a work-top with a fridge below it. My tenant emailed me today saying "...tonight as I was cooking I noticed a strong smell and smoke coming out from between the fridge roof and the base of the hob. When I looked I found that the top of the fridge has actually started to melt from the heat that comes from the hob when they are switched on. Both the hob and the fridge are still working so there is no big damage as such..."

I assume the hob, which was fitted in June, may have developed a fault, but if not would anyone know if there is something I can put on the top of the fridge to alleviate the problem - or anything else I could do. There is very little room above the fridge.

Many thanks in advance,

Ian

Reply to
Ian F.

But how much room?

Looking at page 8 of the PDF file of the manual at:

it says that the base of the unit "can be hot when in operation" and indicates that if there's a kitchen unit underneath, then a minimum gap of 20mm is required... it doesn't say what gap's needed for a fridge beneath, but it's a lot bigger than that for an oven, and as a fridge belts out a fair amount of heat I would have thought 20mm was likely to be inadequate.

So my best guess is that the installation is bad, and the smoke started only when the hob was on for a long period of time?

If so I think trying to circumvent the depth limitation by interposing something between the two is a non-starter - the kitchen design needs a rethink.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks for this David, it appears to be very valid. I'll clearly have to rethink.

Ian

Reply to
Ian F.

You don't seem to have considered that the fridge insulation may already have been permanently damaged internally by the heat. Which visible bit is melting?

Now that asbestos board is out of consideration, most good heat insulation materials are quite expensive. Even they would only slow the rate of transmission, and could even further compromise the required clearance and ventilation under the hob.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I'm going up to the flat to have a look at it this morning - the tenant only told me about it last night.

Point taken, Chris. Thank you.

Ian

Reply to
Ian F.

If thee is room slide a bit of 15mm or 12mm multiboard bewteen the two

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

>>> It is fitted into a work-top with a fridge below it. My tenant emailed me

Slowing the rate of transmission would reduce the farside temperature. Which is what is required.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

exactly. The fridge will need air movement, but that could be provided by having a gap at the sides. Not ideal, but should be adequate. One thing to watch for is the temp rating of whatever insulation you use, forget anything plastic based.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks NT and Chris - I'm sure something will work one way or the other!

As always, solid helpful advice from everyone. Thank you all.

Ian

Reply to
Ian F.