Prices

Talking of price rises, the cost of fencing and wood generally seems to have gone up a lot recently.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

That was last years news Brian. A lot of timber comes from Russia where export restrictions were already in force after Putins 2014 invasion of the Crimea, plus some really massive wildfires in the last couple of years in Siberia.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I paid 14 quid for a new handle for a paving maul last week, apparently a couple of weeks earlier they were 8 quid. Everything is going through the roof. I might have to start looking after stuff :)

Reply to
R D S

Well its worse again now. You know I get the feeling that almost anything happening in the world will be used to increase margins by many of the larger companies who wholesale to the shops etc. Greedy gannet syndrome? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Correct.

What I see at Tesco is a plethora of price labels announcing that the goods are being sold at the same (low) price as at Aldi. This is something relatively new in the world of UK retail.

Reply to
JNugent

The problem I'm seeing in the local discounters is that they no longer have stock of the cheaper items or their "own brand" items.

This month, and in many stores, what seems to be in short supply is detergents - everything from no-name shampoos. no-name washing up liquids, no-name clothes washing powders and gels etc. All these usually sell at a half to a third of the price of some of the well advertised branded products.

Reply to
alan_m

I was referring to lidl/aldi/home Bargains/B&M which are the main discount stores around my way

Reply to
alan_m

Most of it is more than satisfactory, especially non food items which is the stuff that seems to be in short supply on their shelves. I do get the impression that Lidl/Aldi and more busy recently.

Reply to
alan_m

Everything has gone up - we cannot hold a quote for more than 4 weeks

Reply to
ARW

I think this is the new normal. We are going to see a step increase in prices of around 40% and a corresponding reduction in living standards. That will impact the marginal industries that depend on discretionary consumer spending. In short stagflation - higher unemployment, prices and interest rates and a reduction in living standards.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You are going to struggle claiming that is not linked in some way to Brexit:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Even though the reported rate of inflation is actually higher [in some cases, a lot higher] in most EU countries than in the UK?

See:

JNugent

I was trading when inflation was twenty-something percent. It was an absolute nightmare.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Don't believe that, that step claim never happens

Ditto.

No chance. That wasn't seen in 2008/9

In fact we are actually seeing record low unemployment.

That wasn't seen in 2008/9

Reply to
lacksey