OTish : Cost of Fencing?

What sort of costs might be expected for getting a half-dead front garden hedge, in outer SW London, replaced with a fence or wall, about waist height. Not a few wires strung along, not diamond-mesh wire.

Length can be taken as ten metres; neither end meets anything solid.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

Cost of materials is very easy to work out yourself depending on your choice. What you really pay somebody for is digging and cementing the posts in place. Once they are there it is one of the easiest DIY jobs there is to screw/nail whatever fence you want to attach to them.

I did ours myself - around 40m in total a few years ago. Replaced plenty of big bushes and trees. A real workout to dig through the roots.

Reply to
JoeJoe

If digging out shrubs/roots yourself by hand consider buying a mattock

d+Working+Tools/sd2822/Roughneck+Mattock+with+Fibreglass+Handle/p20759

Remember to sharpen the blades first

Reply to
alan_m

And one of these is a must as well:

(can be had for a lot less if only going to use once)

Reply to
JoeJoe

You need to decide what you want. The difference in cost between a decent brick wall and a fence is enormous.

A fence in a front garden isn't going to look good. If an older house, a half wall and railings would be the way to go.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is why I am asking about costs; that decides what is wanted. At the p resent stage, no other information is of any use at all.

It's not a house. This is a respectable road, with very mixed occupancy; g arden fronts in sight from here include flat, wooden palings, wooden planks , various low, middle, and high brick, some including a topping of vegetati on, all in various states of maintenance - and our decrepit hedge. Wooden railings, with a thin flower-bed behind would be adequate. There is no sec urity aspect; there has always been a gap at one end.

H'mmm - the cheapest option would I suppose be to saw the hedge down at low

-level and just plant low-growing stuff.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

Sounds like an old street where people have just gone for the option which suited them at the time

Personally, I'd go back to what the property was built with. A decent wall etc will add to the value in most cases.

Very difficult to give any guide prices as it depends on what you choose. Easy enough to price up a ready made fence using stock panels.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But not totalling more than 1 metre in height without planning permission ()

Why do you say a fence in a front garden isn't going to look good? Decent fences, particularly with quality vertical boards, can look very good.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

The street is about a century and a half old. The properties are of all ages since that, and of widely different values. This property dates from 1980; two opposite are somewhat younger

The property was built with the hedge which is now dying.

I don't any exact figures; just a probable ballpark value for the major classes of boundary, to guide the residents.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius