what kind of fencing?

Good grief, building a house is a PITA. Every time we turn around, something else is needed, and it never just costs a buck, it's a hundred or two here, and thousand or three there.

So the budget is taking a hit and we're cutting back on some things so we can have the important things. One of the things we're cutting back on is fencing. We're only doing the back yard instead of the whole property (1.25 acres.)

Any recommendations for type of fencing? We're out in the desert so a white picket fence isn't the kind of thing we're looking for. Chain link might turn out to be too expensive even.

What's that fence called that's made of wire and is about 8" squares? We see a lot of that around here.

Someone referred us to a fencing company and we'll be calling them soon, but I thought I'd try to find out a little first on my own so we don't sound like total rubes to him, and so we don't get taken for a ride.

Thanks much!

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

Reply to
maxinemovies

Fencing can be an easy do it yourself project. I guess it depends on what your intentions for the fence are. If you just want to keep the neighborhood dog out of your yard then the wire mesh fencing would be fairly cheap. If you are keeping horses you will need something a bit more sturdy. If the fence isn't to keep something in or out I don't see why you would want a wire fence. I would think that you would want something that gave a little privacy at the same time. Go with what is most common in your neighborhood.

Doug

Reply to
cc0112453

Coyotes!

If you don't have them now, you will later. You gotta fence them out of your backyard or they will eat your pets or your grankids.

Chainlink does a fair job of keeping them out if you make it high enough and put a wire on the bottom to tie it to.

Reply to
JimL

What do you expect this fencing to do? Privacy? Critters? How high? How much area? What kind of gates? What kind of ground? Level? sloping? I have a picture of a coyote sunning on top of a 6 foot column at a friends home in North Phoenix. Watch out if you have small critters especially at night or they will become coyote chow.

Reply to
AlanBown

It is called all sorts of things, but if you just call it wire fencing that's ok. The smaller mesh that is about 2" x 6" and 5' or 4' high is ok for ordinary use and keeps smaller critter in or out. Metal posts (T-posts) every 8' is fairly standard. Be sure you know if they use the heavy duty or the light duty posts.

Doing it yourself is a lot cheaper and is fairly easy. The key to good looks is have good braced corners (and braced posts) every 50' and a fence puller to get it tight. Also, if you do it yourself, be sure to get a tube type post setter. Pounding a post with a sledge hammer is a PITA.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon