pressure washer patio cleaner attachment

Hello,
Some time ago I bought the parkside (lidl own brand) patio cleaner attachment for my pressure washer.
I think it is this one, or one like it: www.lidl-service.com/static/6708656/38031_EN.pdf
I have never had much luck with it. The arm does not spin so I end up removing it and clean using the lance!
Have I got a bad one or are all the parkside ones like this? Is it because they are a cheap make?
Can I fix it (how?)? Or should I replace it, and if so, with which brand?
Thanks, Stephen.
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 20:01:04 +0100, Stephen

Are you sure you didn't have to fit the jets themselves (in the end of each arm)?
That said, I think the ones that come with the PWs generally come with them fitted, whereas 'universal' patio heads or those that may fit more than one model may require the user to fit the nozzles appropriate for the pressure / lpm of the cleaner it's used with.
Cheers, T i m

The better of our two is a Karcher. Both rotate OK but one cleans a narrow ring only.
One thing to watch, the bayonet coupling may not be interchangeable from one manufacturer to another.
--
Tim Lamb

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 22:06:52 +0100, Tim Lamb

Yes, I've seen that between two different patio heads on the same pressure washer. That latter cleans in a sausage pattern but only if you move it slowly (or you get spirals / rings). The former seems to clean entire circles (all be it that it was a smaller diameter head and may have had multiple nozzles)?

Understood, although you can get adaptors to go between the more common ones I believe.
Cheers, T i m
On 13/04/2016 22:06, Tim Lamb wrote:

They all clean a narrow ring, you have to move them forwards to join up the rings.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 00:26:35 +0100, David Lang

Whilst you are right, there do seem to be differences between them.
We (well, daughter) got a Nilfisk E140.3-9 PAD for now (the Boxjet is on the upgrade list) and because of an ordering hiccup, ended up with an additional / different patio head.
The one that came with the machine was ready to rock and 'seems' (we will have to check again when we use it next) to clean in nearly complete circles (turn it on, keep the head still, turn it off and you see a clean circle).
The other one required the jets adding (from a choice of two) and possibly because it's bigger or only has two jets (one each end of the spinning bar), definitely washes in a discrete ring.
So with the larger head there is a maximum speed you can move before you just leave loads of rings, as seen here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5772409/Patio%20Head%202.jpg
Maybe more 'cleaning power' would minimise the effect.
Cheers, T i m
On 14/04/2016 09:39, T i m wrote:

Sounds like the jets are too big? Only ever seen them with two jets (one each end of the spinning bar).

I reckon jets too big, lower pressure, slower spin effect.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 10:22:08 +0100, David Lang

Not impossible. It came with two pairs, black and white and a chart indicating which (NilFisk) models you used with which. We found our model and fitted the appropriate jets. OOI, I will check if I can gauge the size of the holes in each of the sizes and if we have fitted the larger, try the smaller.

You may be right. I'll check the next time I go near the PW.

Understood.
Cheers, T i m

No, as far as I remember, it did not come with different jets to go on the arms. They were already on.
It did come with different adaptors for the bayonet on "the stick" but fortunately mine fitted the default one.
On 13/04/2016 20:01, Stephen wrote:

Assuming it has nozzles fitted, does the bar spin really easily by hand?
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 22:07:15 +0100, David Lang
I can spin it using one finger, so it is not seized. It doesn't spin for long though.
Now I think about it, there is a pressure gauge on the handle of the pressure washer and when I used the patio head, the gauge only showed half pressure but when I replaced the patio attachment with the lance, the gauge showed full pressure. Could this mean there is a blockage in the patio attachment, preventing the pressure and stopping it from spinning?
I have a Wickes pressure washer. I bought it after reading your advice here (thanks) about getting one that was heavy, implying that it did not have a plastic tank. Having a quick look on the Wickes site, they don't seem to sell their own any more.
Can you remember who made them for Wickes. Mine fell over because the drive is steep and it has cracked the case. I was wondering if I could get a replacement case?
Thanks, Stephen.
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 10:24:48 +0100, Stephen

I would say that suggested there wasn't enough back-pressure (from the patio head) and that might also explain why it doesn't spin (not enough pressure at the head to get the thin moving)?
As I think I understand you bought the head separately from the PW, maybe it's just not suitable (designed for a more powerfully PW)?
Cheers, T i m
T i m wrote:

Seen a similar problem on a Karcher if the incoming flow rate is too low. The head jets require more water.
On 14/04/2016 20:38, Capitol wrote:

A blockage would cause the gauge to rise.

Absolutely. The jets are too large an aperture.
The difference between one nozzle size and the next one up (or down) can be as little as 0.05mm.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:49:03 +0100, David Lang

Thanks. At least I know what is causing it now. I don't know if it came with other nozzles. If it did, I've lost them, so I guess I will have to buy a new attachment. Do you recommend any particular make?
BTW Who used to make the pressure washers for Wickes? I think it was a well known brand.
Thanks, Stephen.

I think it was one of their [Wickes'] best pressure washers so I don't think it is a case of it not being powerful enough. I think it must be the nozzles are too big, which would then cause the loss of back pressure you describe?
Thanks, Stephen.
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 08:55:20 +0100, Stephen

The thing is I'm not sure if *any* domestic / electric pressure washers would be considered good / powerful enough for some people (professionals) or uses. I'm not saying there aren't any units that are considered 'ok', just that they are often much more expensive than anything you would find in one of the sheds.
So you get 'domestic' rating (pressure / flow rate) which are often like 'peak music power' ratings for amplifiers (eg, vastly overestimated or basically lies) and you generally get the 'real' ratings on the more professional stuff.
A similar thing to pressure washers is air compressors and you would be surprised how big (and expensive) you actually have to go before you can do anything serious. I have a direct drive 50l twin cylinder compressor that is marked as 8 bar and 15 cfm but it's pathetic compared with my mates 3 phase jobby. Mine is 'ok' of course for some things (like inflating tyres or dusting off small items) but try it on a shot blasting cabinet or air chisel and it would struggle.

If the patio head was one designed to go with basic / 'domestic' pressure washers then there is no reason it shouldn't work with a reasonable one. However, as mentioned above, I think they are one of those things that may 'test' the abilities of PW's in general. If you are using a lance to say clean a patio you can go as slow and stay as close as you want to manage the actual cleaning power.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Pressure_washer_FAQ#Pressure_.26_Flow
With a rotating head cleaner, if there isn't sufficient 'cleaning power' it may not work very well or not work at all and you the user don't have any impact over that. ;-(
Cheers, T i m
On 4/13/2016 8:01 PM, Stephen wrote:

Lidl are usually pretty good on replacing genuinely faulty goods. (Only happened to me once, and never with Parkside kit).
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 22:10:23 +0100, newshound

But I would have to wait for the next time they sold them to get an exchange, which could be a while.
On 13/04/2016 20:01, Stephen wrote:

I use an Aldi one and its fine.
Mike