Leatherjackets in lawn

Following my previous post about Magpies finding a portion of my front lawn irresistible, and receiving the suggestion of "leatherjackets" I looked them up, and looked at the lawn, and agree with the diagnosis.
So, what now ?
1) Do nothing, and assume the magpies are my ally ? 2) Do something ... i) Now ii) At a specific time of year in the future 3) Give it up as a lost cause ?
It's an oddity that out of 130 square metres of lawn, the magpies have visibly concentrated on an area of about 30 square metres on one lawn (I have 3 - 2 front, one back).
Is this "infestation" a symptom of an underlying issue like poor drainage, or just "one of those things" ?
On 13/04/2016 16:01, Jethro_uk wrote:

Try posting on uk.rec.gardening. There are many knowlegeable people who post there
Malcolm
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 16:14:23 +0100, Malcolm Race wrote:

Done. Thanks !
On 13/04/2016 16:26, Jethro_uk wrote:

Some info here...
http://www.gardenseeker.com/lawns/leatherjackets_in_lawns.htm
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 16:35:45 +0100, ss wrote:

Thanks, already:
Other signs of leatherjackets in lawns will be birds pecking at the lawn to get at the grubs mainly starlings, though members of the crow family are also partial to a feast of leather jackets - crows and magpies in particular. The birds also do a good job of aerating the lawn, for their beaks can penetrate several inches. It does no damage to the lawn.
sounds quite good :)
writes

You needed Dursban. A long banned organophosphorous insecticide. Chlorpyrifos or some such.
I don't know if any of the over the counter pyrethrums would help. Cover and pick off looks time consuming. Pet Magpie?

--
Tim Lamb

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 15:01:41 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk

Read here http://tinyurl.com/mp9u2vf
or if they're chafer grubs, read here http://tinyurl.com/nrzaj3a
--

Chris