Power supply to sockets tripping out.

Hi all, the electrician called yesterday he tested the main fuse trip switches with all computer equipment un plugged, then started with my kitchen equipment.

On testing my electric plug in kettle, he found something there and said that even though the kettle was not being use (as in the night time cut outs) because it was plugged in it could cause the trip.

Have bought a new kettle and hopefully problem solved. Thank you for all your help. Mick.

Reply to
Mick

FWIW you'll find equipment's that have heating elements like kettles and immersion heaters very prone to what is known as leakage, thats where the current in the heating element is electrically" leaking" to the earthed casing which will cause a current imbalance in the trip and hence the trip will fire off.

Just got to change an electric immersion heater which has done just that only grief is that the tanks a bit of the olde side and once you get that thumping big spanner pulling on that fragile copper;(..

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

Been there, done that Tony. Make sure the tank is full of water, it will be firmer than if you empty it. Use a socket, rather than a spanner, you can get a better grip on the heater with it.

Screwfix Box Immersion Spanner Product Code: 29549 £8:99

I had to change one for my parents and wondered why it had a lot of sealant around the thread. The reason was that it had been cross threaded and someone had managed to seal it with something that had hardened. When I finally got it out I had problems fitting the new one. The answer was a very old dental tool that had loitered in my tool box for years. I really don't want to think what it's original purpose was, but the sharp stainless steel pointed cutting edge made short work of reforming the brass thread in the top of the tank.

Reply to
Bill

Tap it, both ways if necessary, until loose rather than unscrewing by hand

NT

Reply to
meow2222