Power Flue gas Fires?

I want to poot a gas fire into a false fireplace across the corner of a room. There is no fireplace or flue but one of the walls in the corner is an outside one.

I had thought that, whilst it might not be possible to have a 45 degree beld in a balanced flue, it would be possible to have a 45 degree bend with a maximum of 1 to 1.5 metres of pipework with a power / fan flue but I gather that this is not the case.

Can anyone advise how this could be done in the most economic way possible. I have tried a flueless fire which I have already bought and had installed but it creates a noticable smell and makes the room damp in a similar way to the Calor Gas Super Sers.

Any help greatly appreciated

David

Reply to
david

Don't logically see why not, you can certainly have bends in powered flues from a combi boiler

Reply to
Newshound

That was what I thought but the man in my local gas shop said no - still I would like to see if anyone has any other ideas

Reply to
david

Ask Valor for their options DVD

Reply to
John

"david" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I suspect the "man in the local gas shop" knows not of what he speaks.

I've just bought a powered flue gas fire + cast fireplace from these people (via a dealer):

The particular model has a side outlet, and it's planned to run the flue at floor level and box it in. The installation details include the following table of number of permissible 90 deg bends v flue length:

0 7m 1 6.5m 2 6m 3 5.5m 4 5m

While this doesn't quite match your 45 deg requirement, it does indicate that bends are indeed permissible.

The inset fire is manufactured by Portway (now Verine) who mention a side venting power flue model in their blurb, but don't really give the details. The 7m limit does get a mention.

BTW, it hasn't yet been fitted...

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

There is no problem with the equivalent flue length using 45 bends as you have no great distance to route the flue. However the bigger hurdle is that the manufacturer supplies an approved 45 degree bend as an option for the power flue kit.

Even if you can't find a manufacturer who does all may not yet be impossible. With care and planning you maybe able to drill the flue and air duct holes at 45 degrees through the wall, which means you'll need a long core drills.

Reply to
Ed Sirett