Blanced flue gas fire

Hello

I am after a balanced flue gas fire. Can anyone please suggest a good place to get one from? It is for an old cottage so Ideally I would like a mock wood-burner style one (I assume you can get balanced flue ones in that style). In terms of size 5 KW+. The alcove it would stand in only has an external wall on the one side, so it would have an elbow in the flue.

Thanks.

Reply to
Chade

GAZCO. Made in Devon.

Andrew

you will be lucky if you can find a gas engineer willing to install it...

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

Why? Not flueless.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I can certainly find installers offering quotes.

Could explain why balanced flue gas fires are no longer being fitted?

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

well here is a quote from a gas safe installer I contacted recently......"I'm sorry to say we, like most gas fitters have decided not to fit flueless or conventional gas fires as the rules make it very difficult".....

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

Thank you.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Reading between the lines this is the result of some young girl being killed recently by a fire...and all the air dilution tests etc that need to be carried out...I just think they don't want to blamed for the next death ....

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

To my mind there are three different types aren't there:-

Conventional - with a flue going up a chimney or similar, draw air from room

Balanced Flue - Both air in and fumes out go via a hole in the wall, no need for chimney, doesn't draw air from room

Flueless - No flue of any sort, draws air from room, exhausts to room. Needs careful design to be sure gas fully burnt to CO2, needs good ventilation.

Reply to
Chris Green

+1

and I'm surprised "most gas fitters" are refusing to fit fires with conventional flues when they are still in demand for Victorian terraces

- and they used to charge a fortune

Reply to
Robin

I remember buying a flueless heater for our first house 1960s. by 1970, I'd installed central heating with a balanced flue boiler.

Reply to
charles

Yes - that is exactly what I am aware of.

The one I find difficult to understand them not installing is the balanced flue. After all, they are not that different to some boilers.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

ISTR - from 50+ years ago - that tehre were various requirements about distance from opening windows, doors, etc. It may be that with smaller houses they are becoming very difficult to fit and comply with the rules. There might be a lot of paperwork, too. And then there's cutting quite a large hole in the wall. not really a plumbing job.

Reply to
charles

As with most plumbing and wiring jobs, much of the work comes under a general category of house bashing. So any plumber / gas fitter will be well equipped for jobs involving cutting holes in walls.

Reply to
John Rumm

Do such things exist? BF boilers with fan assisted flues are common and allow long terminals. Not sure the demand for BF fires is great enough to make it worth the effort designing one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You'd think so. Last year we had our garage converted to useful living space, and because we wanted it done in our lifetime, we hired an electrician and plumber recommended by our architect. When it came time to install the extractor fans (one in the shower room, one in the utility room), the electrician said that wasn't HIS job, it was the plumber's. The plumber said, no way, it's for the electrician to do. We finally got the mason to do it...and for any future work, we won't be hiring that plumber and electrician. There were other issues, with both of them.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I wonder what the electrician would have said if there was no plumber on site?

Understandably!

Reply to
John Rumm

I did ask why an electrical installation, not connected to either the plumbing or the heating, needed a plumber to drill a hole in the wall.. Didn't get a sensible answer, though.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Many years ago, I re-wired a colleague's 'new' house, before he moved in. He'd had several quotes, and I gave him a price based on the information he'd used for those. I beat those quotes and made it clear I could only do the work on days off from my proper work.

On arrival to start, was grabbed by the plumbers installing the CH. 'Glad you're here - can you get the wiring for it done ASAP as agreed by the client"

Each time I got there, there'd be a note asking for an additional socket/light/whatever.

Big argument at pay time. He expected the original quote to be honoured.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Gazco, Devon. Read the whole thread.

Reply to