Gas fire flue extract...

Hi,

I have a living-flame gas fire with a flue which consists of a hole in the wall with a fan in it (not sure what this type of flue is called) but I have a couple of problems with it...

  1. When the fire is off on a cold day the flue is basically a hole in the wall, putting a hand above where the fire would be you can feel an icy draught blowing down the flue. This means that even when the central heating is on the living room is rather cold. My question is; should this be so? or should there be some sort of shutter mechanism which closes the flue when the fire is not in use...

  1. The fan is also very noisy when the fire is on, is it possible to replace the fan extract alone (I'm quite happy with the fire) or do I have to buy a new fire (indeed, do you get the flue extract when you buy a fire?)

Thanks in advance

Iain

Reply to
Magog