Market Dsiplay cases

I have been asked if I can make a couple of wall mounted jewellery display cases for an inside market stall.

I am thinking along the lines of a 6' x 3' x 10" box probably made out of

18mm MDF for the top, bottom and sides. The back can much thinner material possibly with a mirror stuck to it.

The front will need to be sliding glass lockable doors and this where I mostly need advice.

I am guessing the glass will need to be toughened (it doesn't need to stop a smash and grab raid, just to be safe) but how thick for a piece 6' x 18"

The second question is can I buy runners (or whatever they are called) for the glass to slide in top and bottom as I am presuming two slots routed in the MDF would not be suitable.

The third question is how do I go about locking the cabinets. Once again the locks will be to stop opportunist thieves rather than protecting them during silent hours.

Thanks in advice for any help anyone can offer as these things cost hundreds of pounds to buy. Sean

Reply to
Sean Delere

Stupid question maybe, but do they actually need to open from the front? The outdoor market traders here have glass display cabinets that open from the back, seems much more sensible :)

Otherwise those strap type locks that hook around the edges of the silding glass panels is probably the easiest way to do it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Doh!!! Ignore that, I missed the wall-mounted part :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

LOL Thanks for thinking about the problem though ;-)

Reply to
Sean Delere

This is the lock I meant:

know it's a US site, but they must be available over here...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

snip

Any good glass supplier will be able to sell you the whole lot. He'll cut the glass to size, supply the track locks and all.We regularly make something similiar for the display of hand tools in car factors shops.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
tpaul

I have made a lot of glass display cabinets for within a shop, so I will have a go at pointing you in the right direction.

Health & Saftey Law, The glass dooors must be Toughenend or Laminated.

6mm is a good thickness to use, it looks correct and does not flex to much.

I have found Pearsons Glass in Liverpool to be an excellent supplier of toughenend glass, very accurate cutting, reasonable prices and usually deliver within a couple of weeks!

As for your proposed doors, if the 6' is the hieght I would use hinges, It will work much better.

If you insist on sliding doors get the whole package from Pilkington at Gateshead, they have something called a "Sevarg" tracked roller system bloody expensive but it is good. It comes with a locking system in the track.......At a guess the Glass and sliding system will set you back about £160

If you go the higed door system, the glass (cut, holes drilled and pollished edges) will cost you about £60 from pearsons. Clamp type hinges will cost about £12 per pair and the locks about £8 each So the whole deal will set you back about £100

Bohle Ltd in Oldham are a good supplier of all glass accessories, very expensive, but their stuff is good and they do a huge range.

Reply to
Stuart

Thanks for that Paul. I have a good local glass merchant so I will have a trip down and see what they have to offer.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Delere

Thanks Lee, that looks like the sort of thing I am after.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Delere

Lots of valuable information thanks Stuart.

A little more expensive than I was looking at for the tracks and locks though.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Delere