Potterton EP2001 control (hidden easter eggs?)

Hi

Last night we have a small power outage which has thrown the above CH unit into a confused state. The CH has been running okay, but we have just realized the position and would like enlightenment on two chance discoveries:

In its new "mode", it now seems able to accept three time periods of operation and not the original two.

The CH has been working okay without the need for the hot water to be activated too.

So, two questions:

1) Is it likely that the original installers didn't configure the unit correctly, and we can running the CH without necessarily having the HW boiling too?

2) Can we switch it permanently into 3 time periods a day somehow?

The unit has now been reset, because the power outage caused other problems with the unit.

any help appreciated Rachel

Reply to
Rachel Koktava

I'm afraid you haven't provided anything like enough info for help to be attempted. e.g. type of system, 2 or 3 port valves, programmer etc

Reply to
BillR

I've found that ours (without a backup battery at the moment) often locks when power is applied after a short period. Longer periods of it being off seem to be okay. On the back there is are 2 switches - I can't remember exactly what they're labeled, but certainly one of them appeared to imply it was 2 or 3 switchings per day. So far though, I think I've tried it on 3 but never had showing on the display.

Its possible that the LCD dispay (likely to be common to a number of models with different abilities) got confused and displayed the 3rd switching period but the controller doesn't actually do 3 switching periods.

David Hearn

In message , Rachel Koktava writes

I presume it just reset it into it's default on/off values. This also probably means that the backup battery is buggered and requires changing

See below

I can't remember if it has 2 or 3 on/off periods, but if you now have 3, it seems likely that whoever set the timer last overran the second on/off by the first or second. Whether the CH and HW are linked together is determined by a cam which can be rotated by removing the timer from the backplate and rotating it with a small screwdriver

Reply to
geoff

Replacement batteries can be obtained from CPC for several quid (part no BT00052 or something like that)

It's not the display that might be confused, the controller inside might. There are a whole series of EPs ..2000, 2001, 3000, 3001 up to

6000, with various functions enabled.
Reply to
geoff

EP2001 definately has 2 time periods Mon-Friday and two for the weekend. Designed for Hw, Ch or combined HW+CH operation.

Reply to
Wdyw

Aren't those the ones where the different (and differently priced) models have different, easy to solder, jumpers on the PCBs? :-)

-- John Stumbles

-+

Reply to
John Stumbles

Thank you to all who replied. I'll have a look at the cam and any switches that may be found on the back of the unit.

regards Rachel

Reply to
Rachel Koktava