Portuguese Limestone Fireplace

Hi,
I have just bought a Portuguese Limestone fire surround/hearth/mantle.
I was just wondering whats the best way to fix it to the wall (as it
is heavy). Will i be able to screw into the limestone to attach some
sort of bracket. Or am i best using some sort of adhesive???
Cheers
Reply to
ickleric
The old ones I've seen have steel brackets about 1/4 of the way down sunk into the plaster. If it's going flat against an existing wall, you could use 2" glass plates on the back but these will leave you with two "ears" at the sides
Reply to
Stuart Noble
Dunno mate. It shouldn't at that distance from the edge, but try a dummy hole on the back somewhere to see how easy it is to drill and get a good fixing.
Reply to
Stuart Noble
My limestone fireplace came with a steel bracket already bonded to each upright. I don't know what adhesive they used but could have been gripfill. The suppliers, who also fit fireplaces, advised me to use silicone to bond it to the wall and to the other bits (it came in about 7 pieces). I used a belt & braces approach and used a strip of gripfill and a strip of silicone on each piece. Strangely enough, white silicone looked best once it had dried. I filled in the void behind the side strips (where the fire fits) with some bricks & mortar. SWMBO was impressed with the finished article.
John Miller
Reply to
John Miller

Site Timeline Threads