Limestone fireplace

Bought one about 6 months ago and have just got 'round to fitting it.

The crate it came in doesnt seem to contain any fixings, and there dont seem to be any fixings points on it. Then I remembered that the one I removed was more or less free standing.

Any thoughts about how I should assemble it? Each component is bloody heavy, so it will probably okay just because of sheer weight, but then, it is in several pieces, so not as stable as single piece surround.

I had thought about using some kind of adhesive (gripfil is my currect favourite!) to stick it to the wall, but that seems a little vulgar.

Are the components meant to be glued together somehow?

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
Chris Styles

The limestone surround I fitted had the side pieces screwed to the wall. Two methods were provided, one where you lifted the side piece and dropped it on a screw head poking out the wall and other method had the screw visible but attached a bracket to the piece of brass used for fixing the first method. The top peice (lintel ?) had a similar method of fixing to a screw heads in the wall. Cardboard templates on the packing made it very easy.

Reply to
Ian_m

I have seen one fixed with polyurethane adhesive. It is rock solid.

Reply to
nafuk

Yep! ... Glue to wall and each other.... hearth, side columns and top (mantle) piece - the one I installed also had 'slip' pieces that fitted into either side of the uprights and below the mantle part. These were to permit adjustments between the side columns and the fire opening.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock