Help. Furnace improperly installed?

My 7 month old high-efficiency gas furnace recently broke down. I awoke to hear the motor running, but the furnace wouldn't ignite. I called a repairman.

The guy blew some water out of the air switch and told me that the furnace had been installed wrong. The furnace was tilted away from the drain. Somehow, this was causing condensation from the heat exchanger to enter the air switch.

He didn't stop there.

He noted that the furnace was relighting before the cycle was complete. He told me that the heat exchanger was in danger of over-heating. His explanation: when the furnace was installed, a rear filter cabinet was used. The manual confirms that this particular furnace should have a bottom or side filter cabinet. Since a rear FT was used, the air flow is being restricted by a "squirrel cage???" in the back that blocks most of the area in front of the filter. He went on the say that in addition to flooded air-switches and broken heat-exchangers, this is gobbling up lots of gas and also explains why my second floor doesn't receive much heat.

Does this sound right??

I don't trust this guy. In addition to trying to avoid giving me a receipt and asking that his check be made out to "CASH", he also won't keep his promise to write up a description of the problem for my realitor (she had the furnace replaced, and needs this before she is willing to act).

Regardless, I don't know if he's lying about the furnace. Thanks in advance for advice.

Furnace is: Crown Boiler model UCA 108 NH5R High-efficiency upflow furnace.

Reply to
Chuck

This is one of the more dumber ones I seen here in a while--no disrespect, but you only had it installed for seven months and there are already problems.........who in the hell put the system in, who sold it to them and who is listed on the warranty paperwork ???

Talk to the installer, not some hack off the street.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Problem is, this hack or his company may have installed the boiler. Or is it a FA furnace?

Reply to
HeatMan

First off, I didn't know Crown made FA furnaces. You learn something new every day.

Some units can't use the rear returns. I don't have the manual and can't open it on this computer.

I have seen water in the pressure switches before and it does cause a problem.

Finally, I wouldn't think much of a guy for a check made out to cash. He's a crook or a hack. Find the installer.

Reply to
HeatMan

The reason I didn't go back to the installer is because after the guy installed the furnace (I hadn't moved in yet, and was still out of state), I asked if he could come back and go over his work with me. He bluntly told me he was busy and unused to having to come back and explain how furnaces work.

Since the guy was such an insulting dick, I didn't want the asshole back in my house.

Besides, if he came back, he would justify his own work, and possibly endanger me and my family to avoid having to do free work.

I feel I did the right thing by seeking an independent opinion. I just didn't count on the next guy being as big an asshole as the first guy.

Before I made my next move, I wanted to seek some information from people more knowledgeable about furnaces than I am.

So, now, please tell me why my question is so dumb.

Reply to
Chuck

Yup. Model UCA 108 NH5R.

I have the manual. It says a bottom or side filter cabinet is the way to go, but it doesn't mention what NOT to get, so I don't know if a rear filter cabinet CAN'T be used.

Is this problem usually due to a furnace being tilted away from the drain, or are there other explanations for this?

Reply to
Chuck

Okay, with this explanation, now it doesnt seem so dumb anymore.

I know little to nothing about boilers my self, but if you arent comfortable with the second guy, then I suggest you should get a third guy in to look at it pronto, and correct any safety issues that might exist.

Good luck.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

And the hack job he has done already isn't endangering anyone? .

Reply to
HeatMan

Hey, I went to the Crown website and saw it.

Well, call Crown and talk to them. Ask them if a rear return can be used.

Never heard of that as an explanation....

Reply to
HeatMan

This is Turtle.

Well after reading the first thing the service tech said. I will say this . He is full of it. The pressure switch does not fill up because the furnace is tilted at any direction. It is cause by the pressure switch installed below the vent blower housing and not above it where it is suppose to be installed. The pressure switch comes in one place and has 3 or 4 options of place to install it for it to be above the vent blower assembly. Install the pressure switch above the vent blower assembly and shorten the tube to not let water form in it. If he did not change the possion of the pressure switch you need to get the installer or another real hvac tech out to set it where it is suppose to be at.

If a service tech starts out lying , i don't want to hear anything else he has got to say.

These furnace if installed anywhere normally the way they are suppose to be. They are very safe to operate.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Thanks. I didn't know about the pressure switch having to be above the vent blower housing.

Reply to
Chuck

This is Turtle.

The Pressure switch should be mounted above the vent blower housing for if any moisture forms in the tube leading to it. When the furnace cuts off the water will drain back into the vent blower wheel area to not plug the tubeing line up with water. If the switch is below the blower housing water will not drain back out from the switch and just fill up with water and stop working.

Read your installation instruction on all brands and it will tell you this to do.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE