Outdoor transformers

Hi guys

I currently have some low voltage garden lights which need a transformer plugging in to an exterior socket for power. I am wanting to permentently locate the transformer outside and control the lights (on / off) by one of those energy saving standby plugs which is controlled via a remote. I presume I cannot just leave the transformer out in the open? Is there anything available to locate the transformer in?

TIA

Reply to
diy-newby

The transformers on my exterior lights are all weather proof.

If its a wall wart then it wont be weather proof and you will need an external box like the one they sell in screwfix.

If its on a lead with a plug then it may be weather proof.. look for an IPxx rating. IP56 is common for encapsulated transformers.

See

dennis

You mean like:

choices:

John Rumm

I was thnking more of a box to house the transformer and some sort of box to go over the outside plug socket so I could keep both the transformer outside and keep it plugged into the socket during all weathers.

Reply to
diy-newby

Weatherproof enclosures should be available from any electrical wholesaler. See below for examples.

Dave Plowman (News)

Erm, I think that is what I just linked to.

Nothing to stop you mounting the outside socket in such a box (in fact it would let you use a normal socket since the box itself is IP65 rated).

Reply to
John Rumm

I use one of these boxes for supplying power to my Pond Pump and Filter and also some external lighting. What I find a pain though is when I want to switch off my pump for maintainance etc.. I have to remove about eight screws to get access to the socket.

Anyone know if there's a version that has a lockable door as opposed to a scews.

Andy

Reply to
ac1951

Would it not be simpler to isolate the power to the whole box?

Part of the difficulty is maintaining IP65 on a large box without rigid clamping. (not saying there are none out there - just I have not seen them!)

Reply to
John Rumm