In line switches on fly leads from transformers?

As is the norm for households containing gadget loving dads, plus 4 boys, we've got a mess of cables in some areas, mainly related to AV / gaming equipment.

Lots of the devices are plugged into trailed gangs of 4 sockets, usually in the most awkward spot to get at. However, I can reach behind every single device if I want to.

Do you know if there are any products out there which offer a small inline switch to go between, say, a Wii and its transformer to cut the device fully off? Same logic would apply to other devices such as DVD players, STBs, etc etc. I presume the difficulty might be that every single damned device appears to have a different sized end socket for plugging into the device itself (why do they do this!!!).

And before anyone asks, switching off the whole gang either at the wall or on itself is not an option for a variety of reasons.

Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

I have a set of wireless switched sockets for stuff I can't reach and an eight way individually switched socket strip for stuff I can reach. Lidl did a six way strip with a foot switch on the end of a couple of meters of cable.

Reply to
dennis

But but, the transformers will be eating power no matter what so really maybe you do need to switch of the cables or sockets that feed them.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Why can't you use remote controlled sockets? I have ~8 sockets always on for the network. ~8 remote switched for video. ~4 remote switched for audio. ~4 remote switched for others. Works a treat. ~£5 for 3 from ASDA.

Reply to
brass monkey

larkim :

All you need is an inline switch. Cut the wire and attach it yourself. For instance CPC PL10018 at under 50p each, though that might not fit your idea of "small". Plenty more on eBay. Be sure to get the wires the right way round, or you could just cut one and leave the other intact.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Yes, but not eating as much power as with the device on standby.

I'm not really doing it to save the planet (or much money), its just an improved convenience for example when power-cycling a device which has crashed or similar.

Matt

Reply to
larkim

Yes, I'd considered that - there is the buggeration factor to consider though, but on reflection it might be by far the cheapest way to do it. If such devices were factory fitted they would be much neater and tidier than anything I'd achieve!!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

Space, line of sight issues, cost, reports of reliability issues, access to install them, preference for no more remote controls, simplicity (for my learning disabled son), adding yet another device permanently in standby...

All good reasons for me, but I'm sure you're set up works well for you.

Matt

Reply to
larkim

Only if you can reach the switches on the multiway (which we can't in certain places).

Matt

Reply to
larkim

Also there is a fire risk with these 'energy-saving' gizmo's, they are made as cheaply as possible with overstressed components, and poor- quality plastic casing, which can melt and burn easily, and cannot be trusted. The same goes for consumer-grade 'surge protectors', these cheaply-made devices "cannae take the pressure cap'n", one serious EMP incident, such as a nearby lightning strike, and you'll have an indoor firework display, followed by a large 'bonfire'.

You can't beat a good-quality manual switch for saving energy. I use 'Brennenstuhl' socket strips, these are about the least worst consumer grade strips.

If you can afford it, use these:

do professional grade surge protectors if that's what you want:

alexander.keys1

Yes, lots - check Digikey, Mouser etc.

Does the Wii PSU like being run without a load, though? Some power supplies don't - they need a minimum load (i.e. the Wii in standby) to regulate properly, and long periods of running them unloaded might not be healthy.

Personally I'd switch the AC side somehow - if you don't have access to the wall or the 4-gangs then maybe loop the Wii's AC cable up around the back of the Wii somewhere and put an inline switch there. In fact, the silver base on which the Wii sits is quite big (at least at the front) - you could cut a hole in it and mount an AC switch in the front, right below the Wii itself.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I see that they are no longer available!

But they must draw power themselves in the off position, so that they can be switched on by the remote.

Reply to
Michael Chare

The asda ones lose their programming if you power them off we have 3 sets - when this happens you get random switching with the remotes - not like the more expensive homeplug versions

Reply to
Ghostrecon

oops ment homeeasy not homeplug :-(

Reply to
Ghostrecon

Separate out the things that can be bulk "switched off at the wall" from those that can't. Slap them on separate multiway leads. Stick a label on the socket so you know which is which. Job Done.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, if you must buy switches and solder them into the LV leads you can. I cant say I like the idea, and it wont be pretty, unless you make custom enclosures for them.

NT

Reply to
NT

The wires for these are often coaxial, making it even less pretty.

Reply to
Clive George

The wireless ones I've seen consume more power than the standby power they're saving. I've tried a few and they've all gone back - unfit for purpose.

There's only one similar device I've kept, and that's a master socket which switches a couple of slave sockets - used on the TV to switch on the table light on top of it when the TV is on. This device still uses more than pretty much any modern device's standby power, but in this case I didn't buy it to save power, so the fact that it doesn't save any power isn't an issue for me.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You recall that Dragon's Den punter who was extolling the virtues of a socket like this that included a rechargeable battery etc to reduce the standby power to a "true" 0W... the dragons were all impressed. Personally I was thinking, where did the energy in the battery come from, and was the conversion in and out 100% efficient. More than 10 secs worth of analysis revealed the whole thing was pointless for any purpose than selling stuff to the clueless.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah, Harry would charge it from his solar and hence be truly green. I wonder how much the greenies will pay for one with a solar cell in it?

Reply to
dennis