mono to stereo and vice versa

Hi,

I hope this is not off topic.

I see CPC (and I'm sure others) sell adaptors that convert mono plugs to stereo ones or vice versa.

Something like this:

realise that in addition to the stereo to mono conversion, this particular example is also converting sizes but as far as the electrical side of things goes, does the adaptor simply short the left and right channels together?

Wouldn't plugging a mono plug into a stereo socket achieve exactly the same thing without an adaptor (assuming the plug and socket were the same size)?

I presume these adaptors are more useful when plugging a stereo plug into a mono socket, which otherwise might only receive one channel?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

It rather depends. Amplifier outputs are usually low impedance and may not like being connected in parallel. So to be safe you'd use a resistor in each leg to prevent distortion. Going the other way round - mono to stereo, so two inputs are connected - is usually ok.

You'd be hoping the single tip mates with the twin stereo contacts. Which it may or may not do reliably.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A mono plug in a stereo socket connects to one channel and shorts out the other.

Adaptors are liable to be direct connections, with no resistors. Whether this is ideal depends on the details of the device feeding it

NT

Reply to
NT

> I realise that in addition to the stereo to mono conversion, this

Not quite... Mono plug in a stereo socket may well short one channel to ground.

Indeed. There is usually enough resistance in the output drive to allow the plug to do some crude "mixing" of the stereo channels into a single mono one, when going the other way - but not all amps will appreciate it.

Reply to
John Rumm

I doubt these adaptors have resistors built-in, do they? It would add complexity and cost to the design and I suppose the value of the resistor would have to match the impedance of whatever it was connected to, so the manufacturer would not be able to produce a "one size fits all" item, or would they?

I think when I typed that a mono socket would short both channels together I was thinking of the contacts in the socket touching the two sections nearest the barrel end of the plug. Now that I think about it, I think that ground is nearest the barrel, then right, then left channel, in which case, wouldn't the right channel be shorted to ground rather than to the left channel? Perhaps an adaptor is required after all and I suppose for forty pence, better safe than sorry.

As it happens, I was looking for something completely different when I stumbled across these, so it is all hypothetical but hopefully might help somebody else.

I actually ordered a set of twin leads with phono plugs both ends to carry left and right audio. The leads have arrived and on each plug is printed the word "digital"! The mind boggles. Clearly a case of the marketing department adding the word "digital" to make it sound superior! I've gone and had a look at them and yes, they are gold plated too ;)

Reply to
Fred

If you've got soldering iron, just use a stereo plug with 2 sm resistors.

NT

Reply to
NT