Pointing

The message from %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) contains these words:

A somewhat undefined term which can mean many things. Current thinking among the restoration fraternity is a mix which is principally lime putty and sand with a very small admixture of hydraulic lime to give an initial set.

Reply to
Appin

no they are crap (1), used be amateurs bodgers and h...... learn to do the job properly

1) for them to work at all the mortar needs to be far far to wet, and then at best you can only do a bucket joint.
Reply to
Mark

Badly done, then. The top edge should slope down to avoid holding water.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've never seen it well done. Indeed I suspect that builders deliberately do it badly to encourage problems that they can come back and "fix" for a fee.

Reply to
Steve Firth

He (for whatever reason) is referring to strap pointing,communally used indoors on fake sandstone fireplaces.

Reply to
Mark

Right. Dunno that one. My architect specified 'tuck' pointing and the builders seemed to know what he meant, and had a guy who could do it quickly making a beautiful job. It was for the walls round a previously sloping roof converted to a roof terrace where some of them were previously partially internal. So the entire area, which included some new brickwork, was re-pointed to give a uniform appearance. It has the benefit of appearing to make the poorer quality bricks originally used where they didn't show etc look pretty good. Only other place where this type of pointing is used is to the front of the house - the side and end walls are done in a more simple style.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 21 Aug, 09:57, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote: . My architect specified 'tuck' pointing and the

I understood tuck pointing to be where the joint is filled with a mortar that matches the brick colour, and then a seperate thinner line of lighter mortar is inserted into the pointing itself, to look like the mortar course is thinner than it is (like a rubbed joint). Is that what you mean - it's pretty fancy stuff.

I also thought the vickys went for flush (self-explanatory) or recessed (flat mortar face, set back into the joint behind the face of the brick) rather than strap pointing.

Strap pointing I always thought meant that horrible string vest stuff, where the joint is proud of the brick. People seem to be referring in this thread to what I know as weatherstruck pointing (where the pointing slopes, recessed to brick edge at the top, and proud at the bottom) as strap pointing.

Maybe the terminology is not set in stone, or mortar, or whatever.

Reply to
Bolted

Err no I'm not, I'm referring to strap pointing, not weatherstruck. I did so because Dave mentioned that the pointing was "raised" and I started off with "Presuming that you mean "strap" pointing".

Reply to
Steve Firth

Err, it's not all about you.

"Badly done, then. The top edge should slope down to avoid holding water".

Reply to
Bolted

I'm the only to have mentioned strap pointing.

Yes, it's clear that Dave was talking about something else, but "raised" and "weatherstruck" don't go together in my experience. That's why I tried to clarify if he meant strap pointing or something else.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ahh, what I think of as weatherstruck is 'weatherstruck and cut', live and learn.

Bolted

of the brick face. With a slope to the top. Perhaps it is a local thing. My architect was good at that. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 To e-mail, change noise into sound.

That just sounds like ribbon or strap pointing, which is almost universally now deprecated as historically inaccurate, ugly, and bad for the bricks (string vest pointing). Maybe your area was an early adopter.

My vicky has it as well, not too far proud thankfully, but it is definitely not original - 60s or 70s at a guess, and cement.

Reply to
Bolted

I dunno. Both this house and its other half are the same - but not all in the street. It's likely they've been repointed at some time in their 130 year life? But before I bought it - and it didn't look new then. Some 30 odd years ago. Nor can I imagine the previous owner paying one farthing more than she could get away with. ;-)

Ok. All I can say is it looks good on the roof terrace walls which as I said are made up of a real mixture of bricks, since most weren't designed to be seen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My 100 year old one hasn't been repointed for the most part. I've done a few small areas which need it (including one where some wally tried repointing with pure cement), but most still doesn't and is the original. Probably depends heavily on the quality of the original lime mortar, the local environment, and making sure anything like broken guttering gets quickly fixed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm pretty certain the pointing isn't lime mortar anywhere. Although the main mortar is. The house had a fair shaking in the war and perhaps there was quite a bit of work done afterwards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

blimey im surprised you could find a builder still able to do Tuck and Pat or even have the necessary tools to do it properly. but yes with uneven faced bricks on early Vic property's done well it looks superb.

Reply to
Mark

It was quite common for cement to be used in the pointing with lime mortar houses even at original build, to improve the protection against weathering.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

Against weathering of what?

It certainly "improves" the protection of the pointing against weathering, but usually has the opposite effect on the weathering of the brick or stone.

Reply to
Appin

video of someone using a mortar Gun its ok with Lime, but Christ it would be an unimaginable mess with cement mortar.

Mark