Pointing...

We've got a 1930s bungalow which has been well looked after and, by the look of it, regularly repointed. But what about the other three faces of wall that don't see the light of day? I was under the floorboards t'other day turning off the water when this occurred to me as, out of curiosity, I gave the mortar a poke on the course of bricks I could see. I found about 12mm[1] of sandy loose material before anything solid.

Now, assuming this is normal (please to $deity I hope so!) does anything ever need doing about it? Or is it a case that by the time another 12mm has gone and it's in trouble I'll be in a home or in a box?

Reply to
Scott M

Hi Scott:

Under normal circumstances the mortar is under compression vertically and although it may become friable over time this does not affect its purpose which is to provide a bed upon which the weight of the brickwork above rests on the layer immediatelly below.

Normally unless there is significant movement in the property the fact you could scrap some mortar out should not be a problem - providing you don't set about removing it wholesale...! However, the loose may have fallen into the cavity and bridged the DPC. You say sandy lose - is it dry, what colour is it..? If not, this is likely a symptom of damp, probably caused by the failure of the Damp Prof Course. The failure of the DPC might have an knock-on effect on the ends of the floor joints which may be rotting away.

Do you have a Damp Guarantee..? If so, get the guys back to carry out a review.

Mike Holmes

buildersabroad.com

above rests on the layer immediatelly below.

That's good to know.

It's dry but I forget the colour. I don't think there's a problem with damp, though I may check now we've had lots of heavy rain.

Reply to
Scott M