Price of pointing brickwork

I got a price for pointing the rear of our 2 up 2 down terrace. The kitchen is an extension. The gap in the brickwork is quite narrow.
1700, seems like a lot to me.
Rick
R D S wrote:

It's a con, I don't know anyone who charges more than 25 per m2, your exterior brickwork can't possibly be 85m2, most mid terraced houses are 45m2 in total, meaning about 23m2 per elevation, you can subtract a few metres off for the extension so the total should be about 20m2, which should come to about 500, even if he has to hire zip up scaffold (cue the 'not allowed to' brigade) then it can only be another hundred....don't pay more than 700

At 25 quid a meter it's an absolute bargain! It's the most mind bending shit job you can tackle.
EricP wrote:

A few years ago I was doing it for a tenner a metre...it's not bad providing you have a radio and a flask of tea, I can point about 15m2 in a day and I'm not very fast, I know blokes who can do 20m2+, not bad money at all @ 25 per m2

That's what I thought when I started for first time I did it then I realised that it gave time to think, ponder, even dream. There aren't many tasks which don't demand concentration but allow the mind to wander.
I'd do it for 25 a square metre.
Mary

Why not do it yourself? It's not difficult, the materials are cheap and you don't need special tools except, perhaps, scaffolding.
It does take time of course ... what's your time worth?
Mary