Plumbing with lead solder

I moved some stuff about in the bathroom last weekend and used solder
ring joints for the plumbing, adding a bit of solder to each joint.
I have a roll of fat, cumbersome solder I normally use so treated myself
to something finer which was much easier to use.
It's dawned on me since that I hadn't looked for solder free, and in fact
have used 60/40.
Does this pose a realistic risk?
Shall I redo all the joints (5 or so)?
We Brita filter the water and the bathroom is upstairs.

Reply to
R D S
It doesn't meet modern regs, but people have lived in houses for decades with leaded solder in all the joints.
Reply to
Tim Watts
Many of us grew up with lead piping. Many of us grew up with lead soldered copper, and many of us still live with lead soldered copper.
NT
Reply to
NT
Solder ring fittings don't need any solder adding. If you added more solder to the outside it probably just ran off and never went anywhere near the inside of the joint.
If you live in a soft water area you need to worry about lead, if you live in a hard water area you don't.
Check to see if your filter removes lead if you are worried, some do and some don't.
Reply to
dennis
Yeah I know, but if a job's worth doing, it's worth going to extra effort to do it wrong.
Reply to
R D S
You probably absorbed more lead through your skin handling the solder than you'll get from the water over the next twenty years. How much water do you actually ingest in the bathroom compared to how much is used?
Reply to
Dave Liquorice
You probably don't need to worry in a soft water area either. We live in one and the water company dose the water to prevent lead dissolving in it. Ten years ago I did the designs for some of the panels controlling the dosing systems.
SteveW
Reply to
SteveW

Site Timeline Threads