How vital are pipe inserts with pushfit plumbing wwit 22m acorn pipe?

How vital are inserts with pushfit plumbing with 22m acorn pipe?

I just did a very awkward plumbing job under my floorboards: I installed two push-fit stopcocks in the main send and return of my central heating system. After doing the job I realised I had forgotten to use the stainless steel pipe inserts in the ends of the 22mm Acorn pipes that went into the stopcocks.

The joints are not leaking at present, but are they likely to become leaky in future? How vital is it that I take the floorboards up again and redo the joints with inserts in the pipe-ends?

Thanks Ricky C

Reply to
Ricky C

AIUI, the pipes will eventually 'creep' and the pressure the fittings exert on them will squeeze them enough so tha the fittings are no longer secure. Whether they fall off completely at this point, or start to leak, depends on luck and the design of the fittings. Sorry.

For cold water, you might get away with it.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I don't know Acorn pipe, but if it is plastic (barrier or not), then you need to redo it with inserts. If you don't, it will eventually leak. How long it lasts depends on whether there is any mechanical load on the pipe/fitting.

Reply to
Grunff

Plumber missed one off on a Hep2o hot pipe for a shower and weeped slightly after a month or two. Took apart put insert in and re-assembled and to my knowledge has been OK since.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

Last house I lived in (13 years) had Acorn CH and DHW when we moved in, and Acorn when we moved out. None of the joints had pipe inserts - and none leaked, ever :)

Reply to
Paul King

My own view is that the inserts make the process of making a reliable water tight joint easier and certain.

They are absolutely essential for use in compression fittings.

There _might_ be some longer term issues about the reliability of the joints without inserts.

Opinions vary, manufacturers would say essential. It makes sense to use them but if you forgot and it doesn't leak and the joint will be accessible (albeit with some work) then leave as is.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks to everyone for the replies. After reading them, I went ahead and redid the job with inserts. The speedfit fittings came apart much easier than I had feared.

RickyC

Reply to
Ricky C

Pipe inserts (support sleeves) should always be used with Hep2O pipe (and with Acorn, its predecessor). The support sleeve serves several purposes:-

1) It helps to make the pipe round if it has been slightly crushed by cutting 2) It assists in jointing with push fit fittings 3) It is necessary to ensure the long term performance of the joint, particularly at elevated temperatures and pressures.

If using compression joints on Hep2O pipe, it is essential that a support sleeve is inserted into the pipe, as it provides support for the pipe against the olive.

The Hepworth Plumbing Products Team

-- Tel: +44 (0)1709 856 300 |Hepworth Plumbing Products Fax: +44 (0)1709 856 301 |Edlington Lane, Edlington Email: snipped-for-privacy@hepworthplumbing.co.uk |Doncaster, UK

|DN12 1BY

Reply to