Plumbers and the very end of my tether.....

The plumber who installed a boiler for one of my customers (finally after months of waiting) still has not been to finish off the work and sign the paperwork.

Tomorrow I am going to ring corgi to see if there is anything they can do. I suspect not as there isn't anything wrong with the work as is stands. I have spoken to another plumber (corgi) who is willing to finish off the work and sign off the benchmark form etc.

What I am worried about is that the form says 'installer'; except for a few small bits of work the boiler is 'installed'. Will the new plumber suffice as the 'installer'? Can he inspect the boiler and sign it off as if he were the installer or will he have to dismantle everything to ensure it has been done properly? He knows the original installer is corgi registered and knows who he is and of his work. Am I doing anything wrong and could the original plumber report me for anything?

(Although I cant wit to tell the old plumber that I'll be deducting the new guys fee from his final bill :-> )

Reply to
mark

If he hasn't finished the job he's hasn't kept to contract so you're under no real obligation to pay him at all.

Reply to
G&M

In message , G&M writes

True enough. He has actually done most of the work now. I rang him in May to tell him I would like him there for July. Rang him in the middle of June and he said he was going on holiday in July and couldn't make it until he got back. Fair enough, I asked him to ring me back when he returned. Last week of July I'd heard nothing so I rang him up again. (Ringing him normally took at least half a dozen calls leaving messages with his wife, machine and children; he has only actually rang me back a couple of times). Said he'd be there to measure up etc. No sign so I actually turn up at his home address which causes him much annoyance ! Middle of August he finally shows up to measure. End of August shows up to do some of the work over a weekend. By this time we've done every scrap of work we can possibly do except boxing in the non existent pipes etc. All that's left is the actual bits and bobs of the boiler and swapping the unvented cylinder for the right one (which is standing there next to the wrong one; but that's another very long story). We haven't seen him for over 3 weeks now and I'm back to leaving messages etc.

Reply to
mark

The benchmark form allows for the installer and commissioner to be different.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Since there is no reason for the first one to be paid and the second is happy with his bill you should write and tell the original that though he doesn't need the money, he may phone you to make arrangements to recieve it.

It would be nice to find how eager he will become, to please an old and honoured customer.

Keep us informed how long he keeps it up before he gets the message.

Don't put anything in writing though. BTW has he got anything in writing from you?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

In article , Michael Mcneil writes

Why should that be a problem?......

Reply to
tony sayer

Hi,

Unless a contract states otherwise, you have to pay him in part for the work done. But the threat of non payment might help him to finish the job :^)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

The commissioning ill be carried out by the suppliers (eco-hometec). They won't start the ball rolling until I return the benchmark form completed by the installer. I phoned corgi today and they didn't have a problem with me getting a different corgi plumber to check it over finish off the minor stuff and sign it off.

Reply to
mark

In message , Michael Mcneil writes

Well actually I was going to put it in writing to him. I've tried phoning him but even his answering machine is off now. Telling him that we are instructing a new plumber following a chat with corgi and could he possibly send a fully itemised bill for the work he's done already listing hours and materials for our consideration.

Did you have a reason in mind that would make writing a bad idea?

Reply to
mark

In article , mark writes

Well if it were me I wouldn't put up with this behaviour, just tell him that if he wants his money then he'd better get his botty round here en tout sweet and get the job done, or else he can sing for it.....all of it too....or see U in court...

Reply to
tony sayer

Not quite - under contract law if somebody doesn't complete the work, you pay them for the work done less the cost of finding somebody to complete that work - i.e. not the new worker's charges but your expenses in finding that person.

However I'd still not pay him and tell him to sue you. Also ask the new plumber for an opinion on the quality of work of the first guy. Any hint of poor workmanship and he'd be best to stay quiet.

Reply to
G&M

In message , tony sayer writes

Basically that is what is going to happen. The problem I've had up to now is finding a replacement plumber who was willing to sort out someone else's work who could prove to me that he was capable enough. Now I've found one I can tell him so (the original plumber).

Reply to
mark

In message , G&M writes

Hmm. That was my understanding also. I've wasted several hours hanging about on site, whilst I could have been better occupied elsewhere; just fiddling really. Rest assured these hours will be itemised in the deduction sheet I will be applying to his fully itemised invoice for work done so far. Be interesting to see how organised he can be when there's money involved. FYI the quote was for 4.5k ( I supplied the boiler, unvented cylinder and bathroom suites) and he has received 2k already so there is 2.5k in the kitty as far as I am concerned to pay the new plumber. He will be paid on a time and materials basis out of the remainder of the work. I look forward to informing the original plumber of this arrangement.

Reply to
mark

In article , mark writes

One reason why I do all me own plumbering these days, as well as most everything else:))

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

Oh I do my own. This is a contract for a customer :( Oh for the days before corgi.......................................

Reply to
mark

In message , mark writes

What's CORGI got to do with it, got to do with is (in the immortal words of Tina Turner)

Reply to
raden

In message , tony sayer writes

I never really thought of doing it any other way

Reply to
raden

In message , raden writes

Cant do gas fitting or pressurised systems for reward unless you are.

Reply to
mark

In message , mark writes

Where's the doing it for reward if it's your own installation ?

Reply to
raden

In message , raden writes

Its not my own. Should I apologise for it not being DIY at this stage?

Reply to
mark