Pleased with a success

The Freeview box in the kitchen wasn't responding to the remote control.

First step was to fit new batteries in the remote - but no change. Pondered on how to check if it was working and recalled that a digital camera. can see an infra red control. Got out the camera and pressed a few buttons - and it appeared to be working - but it was also flashing most of the time.

I took it apart and found it was wet inside. Dried it and now it works. Obviously it was sending out confusing signals. No-one owning up to wetting it yet - but I have saved £20 on a new box - which may have ended up as a new LCD TV with built in Freeview.

The world is a little greener for avoiding a purchase.

Reply to
John

And your wallet a little plumper :-)

Well done that man. BTW, no one will ever admit to wetting it, these things do it all by themselves.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well done.

Er - why do you need one in the first place?

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Get back in your cave. 8-)

Reply to
dennis

Dogs just look innocent and cats change the subject...

Geo

Reply to
Geo

You can also test a remote control by tuning a radio off-station (AM is best) and holding the remote near it and listening for the noise. My Sky remote has an amazing range. I can point it up the stairwell to change the channel from downstairs. Whereas my Sony TV remotes are so feeble I have to walk halfway across the room before they work.

Reply to
Matty F

Someone has probably dropped it, it can dislodge the LED so most of the output is inside the remote. It happened to one of mine but a quick dismantle and bend the wires had it working as well as before.

Reply to
dennis

I have two Sony TVs and remotes, and both remotes go about 3 metres max.

Reply to
Matty F

Quite some time ago, i was asked by my son to find out what was wrong with his car fob. It turned out to be a broken wire, but while I tested that it was emitting a signal, I got howls of protest that I was locking and unlocking his car. The car was at the front of the house and I was at the diagonally opposite corner upstairs. What a range it had, unlike my 2 cars fobs that only work when I get alongside them.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

But the car fob is presumably a radio frequency signal which could go through walls. My Sky remote has a little LED on the end, and I can bounce the signal off several walls or the ceiling to get to the Sky STB. If the couch is in the way it doesn't work, so it can't be a radio signal.

Reply to
Matty F