Filling Old Wallplug Holes

Rethinking various apsects of house. Involves removal of lots of battens and shelves (and suchlike), which obviously results in holes where the wall plugs have been removed.

I want to fill them ready for decorating but it is a tedious process. I haven't found a good technique for getting the filler to the bottom of the holes. So far I have been pushing some filler in, then tamping it down, adding some more, tamping it down... I don't mind the doing of it as such, but it slows everything down so much.

Just ordinary light-ish-weight block walls - the odd brick or whatever.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Rod

- does what it says on the tin.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Any particular reason why you need to fill the full depth of the hole? I normally find that filling it level with an appropriate filler (even of that leaves 3/4 of the hole depth unfilled) is more than adequate for cosmetic purposes.

Reply to
John Rumm

I was tempted to use a tube of pre-mixed filler for this. Bad idea.

That stuff seems to work properly only in thin layers, or it doesn't set. I waited a day or two for one lot, then gave up. Used standard powder mix stuff and it set almost straight away.

I know this doesn't answer the question, but...

Reply to
Bob Eager

It just feels the right thing to do! I want to be able to drill new holes anywhere without coming across voids. Also, I have found it very easy to underfill a hole when just smearing a thin-ish layer on. Taking care to entirely fill it avoids that.

Maybe I am getting hung up on something that doesn't matter that much?

Reply to
Rod

I want to use a mastic gun and cartridge of filler - no idea if that is a good idea or not, but I couldn't find any. I dare say the various Gripfills and similar would be usable - but would probably shrink and stink and go the same way that yours did.

Reply to
Rod

That's a bit excessive IMHO. Why do you feel the need to fill the hole completely? I remove the old plugs, make a nice thick filler mix and using a small trowel spread a small dollop of the filler over the hole. A fair bit goes down the hole and a "spread" or two more is all that is required. Leave a bit proud but before it fully hardens treat like plaster, wet and smooth over with a small float or the flat of the filling trowel. I've not had any of these fillings fall out or crack around. Part of the trick is a stiff filler mix so if you trap a pocket of air and it can't get out it doesn't push a dome onto the surface of the filler. A stiff mix doesn't slump out of the hole either.

Is that nice and smooth or a bit gritty? Bought a tube of ready mixed polyfilla, on the basis that it would always be ready and easier than mixing up a tiny amount of powdered filler. But it was terrible stuff, not smooth at all but full of tiny gritty bits.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And if you've got a big batch to do, and don't want to pay more for filler in cartridges, a Tesco Value cake-decorating set can be useful for piping the squidge into the holes.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Very smooth, not at all gritty - you can smooth it off so well it doesn't need sanding most of the time. See also

the best one IMO

The Medway Handyman

I would suggest fixing that problem should it happen (which is relatively unlikely)

Personally I think so, but then each to his own! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

But the filler will be so soft compared to brick, block or mortar that the drill shoot off into it anyway and give you a "problem hole". Stop worrying about it and deal with the "problem hole" *if* you ever end up with one.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If you want to go this route, then filling most of the depth with a solvent gripfill product, letting that go off, and then finishing with a surface filler would probably work. That way you can fill the depth with something that will go off fast enough but shrink a bit, and then using something non shrinking for the last bit that gives a good cosmetic finish.

Reply to
John Rumm

As a matter of interest, a letting agency once paid me to remove all the plugs & fill the holes in a (vacated) rented three bedroom flat. Fairly new place.

There were so many I counted them - 83 in total :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I recently wanted to fill around a number of back boxes for new sockets. I filled an old cartridge with a suitable mix (one coat plaster IIRC, it is what I happened to have left over from a previous job) and used it /quickly./ It worked quite well, and well filled the crevices.

Reply to
<me9

"Rod" wrote

If the holes that are left are very sandy/crumbly, start by squirting in some dilute PVA. This will take a few minutes onlyt for all the holes and help stabilise the area/avoid pulling all the moisture out of the filler. Again this is far end of the proverbial stuff, but hey-ho

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Reply to
Paul Matthews

In message , Rod writes

Why take the plugs out?

Tap them gently below the surface with a suitably sized punch and fill the shallow hole with decorators mate etc..

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I really don't know why, but that severely disturbs my sense of how things should be. :-)

Reply to
Rod

OCD? Autism? :-p

Reply to
boltmail

Probably. Pardon while I wash my hands... :-)

Reply to
Rod