Please ID my cistern innards!

I need to replace the syphon mechanism on a toilet cistern (the syphon casing is broken), but it doesn't look like any I've ever fitted or changed before. It is completely annular, and seems to work like a big syringe, rather than the 'up-and-over' style I'm used to. Has an integral overflow too.

the crappy camera-phone pics)

I've been looking at all the usual online suppliers but can't find this thing - can anybody tell me what it's called and/or where I can get a new one? Are these a generic item?

I do know that the original cistern came from Wickes a few years ago, so they are an obvious port of call when the weather improves (can't see anything on their website though).

Thanks for any help David

Reply to
Lobster

Its not a "siphon" - more like the button operated types that just uncovers an outlet by raising a buoyant plug.

Reply to
John

I think it's probably one of these -

- or similar. The cistern in a suite which I bought from Focus a couple of years ago had a similar flush valve - but with a button on the cistern lid rather than a lever.

If you follow the link above, that gives another link to fitting instructions - which give a better idea what it looks like and how it works.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks, it certainly sounds as if it must be a mechanism like that, rather than a syphon.

However, I'm not at all sure whether one of these would work as a like-for-like swap with mine, owing to the geometry of the flush handle

- it's at the end of the cistern and has a relatively short travel compared to most conventional lever handles. Will probably have a go if need be... for sure there's more chance of that working than if I were to fit an old-style syphon.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The other common one is the Wirquin

The Medway Handyman

Is it beyond repair? Worth a try and whilst it is out look for a maker's name.

Reply to
John

That would be a Pacific flush valve - I've got one in an el cheapo Homebase toilet I bought a few years ago.

I've read in various places that they're not made anymore - the only place I've ever found them online is at

(first item on the page), but at 46 quid a pop it's not cheap.

Cheers, Ian

Reply to
Danogian

That looks like a Pacific flush valve - I have one in an el cheapo Homebase toilet I bought a few years ago.

I have read in various places that they're no longer made. The only place I've ever found one available online is at

(the first item on the page), but at 46 quid a pop it's not cheap.

Regards, Ian

Reply to
Danogian

That's the bugger, I'm sure. 46 quid!! Hell, the entire bathroom suite didn't cost much more than that.

I reckon I'm going to have a go at mending the old one. You can see in the lunns.net picture that there's a bayonet fitting holding the blue top half down; I couldn't figure out why it needed to be dismantlable but evidently it's so this 'cartridge' thingy can be replaced. What a weird mechanism. On mine, one of the bayonet lugs has broken so the blue top half 'rocks' a bit, allowing water to run into the toilet. I think I'll do away with the dismantlable feature by glueing it together (it's not as if I'm ever going to be able to source a spare cartridge, is it!)

Thinks - what would be a good adhesive, bearing in mind the continual immersion - Araldite?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Might as well change it for a Fluidmaster & be done with it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman