Please Help Re: Paintbrushes

She who must be obeyed, the other day reckoned that I should do a bit of painting.

Thinking I was being a clever sod and not wanting to do it replied I can't I have no paint brushes.

Quick as a flash out of the shopping bag came some paint brushes. Now I had no excuse.

All surfaces prepared got the paintbrush and started. Oh boy. the paintbrushes she purchased had nylon bristles and it was murder trying to use it. How does anyone manage to do a decent job with these things. They are ok for getting the grot out of awkward corners, but not for painting. They would be no good even for painting the shed.

Where can I get some propper paintbrushes...?

Can anyone recommend decent makes please ...?

James

Reply to
the_constructor

Purdy

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

IME most brushes are ok, the simple test is to grip the bristles firmly and pull. If any come out, its a badun. Harris is a well known quality make if you want that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hamilton's ?

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

I'd be surprised if most of these (except the obvious cheapies) weren't quite reasonable:

Reply to
Rod

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Mr Fuxit saying something like:

Mouth?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Expensive!

Reply to
Cash

Price wasn't mentioned by the OP. "Decent" he said ..LOL

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

I just bought a five pack from B&Q that I have been rather impressed with. Just looked at the receipt and it just says "B&Q FF 5 pack" - so not sure if that gives any clues. Nice long bristle brushes that has so far shed very few hairs. Nice hold, synthetic handle.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've been very impressed with the SF el cheapo's

good for the money. I don't clean brushes BTW, I bin them once used.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ah, found the ones I got:

(think I paid less than that for five mind)

they are not bad...

The basic Toolstation ones:

not bad either (but steer clear of the "use and throw" ones - those are pretty poor.

Depends on what I have been painting with... emulsion I will wash them others I will usually bin - especially if painting with something very hard to clean (filler loaded undercoats and primers etc). If I am stretching work over a few days, then I wrap em in cling film to stop them drying.

Reply to
John Rumm

These people are good.

Try to get Pure Bristle brushes if you can, as synthetic brushes seem to hold the paint even after cleaning them. Pure Bristle brushes are easy to clean, especially with todays' modern paints.

Reply to
BigWallop