Ideas please

After having ground floor ceilings re-plastered for a second time, they are once more showing cracks. I assume the joists are moving and causing this to happen. The floors above the ceiling are extremely noisy when anyone is upstairs. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to replace the ceilings as re-plastering is very expensive and obviously not the answer.

Thanks in anticipation

Reply to
numtys numty

numtys numty ( snipped-for-privacy@thenumtiess.org.uk) wibbled on Tuesday 01 February 2011 14:36:

I've got a couple of board joint cracks too - get used to it is my advice. Plaster is hard and unforgiving and buildings (especially ceilings) move a bit, especially over the seasons due to heating as well as the shock load from above.

I'm going to smear a bit of caulk in mine and just run a strip of fresh paint over (they've not long been painted).

For micro hairline cracks, I've peviously painted some PVA on and painted over - seems to work in that it sticks the edges a bit and discourages tiny movements.

Don't really notice them anyway.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

"numtys numty" wrote

How old is your house Archie? I suspect that most modern houses will suffer in this way. The push towards cheap construction means that lighter beams of poorer quality timber are used these days. Calculations are produced to support the use of these beams and prove that they will not fail. But they will be designed closer to the allowable deflection than would have happened years ago. Plaster is an unforgiving brittle coating, so as the plasterboard ceiling tries to flex, there can only be one outcome. Also, the lighter beams do not deaden the vibrations/sound as well as their more substantial predecessors. If your house is not of modern construction, then I would suspect that some settlement has occurred to allow some movement of first floor joists. This would not have to be serious structural stuff, just shrinkage of key timbers would be enough to crack an expanse of plaster.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

In message , TheScullster writes

Phil, The house was built around the mid sixties, it's really annoying to have had the plasterers in and then find the same thing happening once again.

I'd really like to get this sorted but I'm at a loss as to what to do about it.

She who must be obeyed has said it must be fixed!! Anyone any Ideas how to deal with this. The ceiling I mean, not the wife!

Thanks again.

Reply to
numtys numty

numtys numty wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@archiegallachersky.com:

Was that mine shaft your house built over properly filled?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I can't think of any quick and easy solution, other than caulking and decorating over the cracks.

Do you have any idea what size the ceiling joists are, and what do they span?

How much of a job to take up the first floor boarding? Adding additional noggings between the ceiling joists might beef it up, and you could also insert some sound insulation.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Wallpaper the ceiling with an embossed paper, then emulsion, easy

Reply to
A Plumber

I meant to add, if you are looking at replacing the ceilings anyway, you could do the beefing up and the insulating from underneath.

Or get a big oak beam and fix it under the joists at mid span, supported in the wall at each end. Horse brasses optional.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

With a rubber sheet, if the movement is severe.

Actually, thinking about it, rubber sheets are ideal for severe movements anyway.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Like after a strong curry?

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

In message , geraldthehamster writes

Richard, I may have to "paper over the cracks" but I really don't want to go this way, I'll stick around and see if any better ideas come up in reply to my post.

Thanks again,

Reply to
numtys numty

Line it with something like this:

Rednadnerb

The world fell out of my bottom.

Reply to
Skipweasel

In message , Rednadnerb writes

Reply to
numtys numty

Skipweasel ( snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com) wibbled on Tuesday 01 February

2011 17:33:

You want to try my homebrew chilli oil - two pots of dried crushed chillis, cooked in just enough oil to wet it and a handfull of black peppercorns to spice it up a bit.

Still doesn't blow my face off (though Mr Colon has a few words to say) - might need to start ordering some of Blair's special sauces soon - there is now nothing in the shops that I cannot consume with ease. I feel an order for some "MegaDeath" coming on. At least there's an upgrade path terminating at "Special Reserve 3am".

Reply to
Tim Watts

Are your upstairs walls built on the floors? What colour is your mortar? Are your floorboards cupped?

Reply to
js.b1

You dont give us enough info to know whats causing the cracks. It could be hairline cracking between boards, structural movement, disintegrating lime plaster, or timber frame construction that moves, undersize joists, or pretty much anything. Without said info, how can we know the solution. Papering over them, regardlses of the actual material used, is unlikely to stop it happening again.

Often ceiling cracks are overrated, its very easy to run a finger of filler along them at painting time.

?title=3DStud_wall_noise_reduction NT

Reply to
Tabby

In message , Tabby writes

Sorry, I really don't know anything about the fabrication other than that the internal walls on the upper floor are built on top of the flooring, which is chipboard. The noises are the boards squeaking when anyone is moving about upstairs. The ground floor has a composite base, there is no sign of external wall movement or sinking.

Having lived here for just under twenty years, I'm sure the main house structure is sound. It's just annoying, having to try to mend the ceilings when they have been plastered twice before already!

Thanks for all reply's

Reply to
numtys numty

Taking up a single board in the right place, glueing in herringbone strutting, and anchoring the end joists to the walls will stiffen up the ceiling considerably, possibly enough to stop the cracking.

It is easier to fit strutting tight across the gaps between joists than it is to fit tight noggins.

Reply to
<me9

If it's like mine then the joists are very "flexible". You may just have to get used to it.

Reply to
Mark