ping tony sayer/Freeview

Hmm... all TVs , STB's and computer dongles here are reporting that at least one, possibly two muxes on Sudbury are so corrupted as to be unusable.

Probably die to low power and/or interference via tropo scatter..from bloody Europe.

Dave and Sky News both borked.

or is summat else a-going on?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There've been several reports on relevant groups about dodgy reception today, I think there *is* a lift on ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not to my generalised Eyooreishness there aint. :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

scatter..from

Looks at weather charts, yes could well be. The fairly large and stable high pressurre that has dominated the weather for the best part of a week has just moved away.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

More likely side effects of an inbound CME (from s.a.a) there has been a fair bit of activity already this week from an active sunspot. Could be an aurora either tonight or tomorrow night too.

Space Weather News for March 14, 2012

CME: Sunspot AR1429 unleashed another strong flare (category M7.9) on March 13th. The explosion produced a significant coronal mass ejection (CME), which forecasters say should reach Earth on March 15th. Geomagnetic storms are possible when the cloud arrives. Check
for updates.

SUNDIVING COMET: A bright comet related to sungrazing Comet Lovejoy is diving into the sun. The orbiting Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) is monitoring the comet's death plunge even as the sun peppers the spacecraft with energetic particles accelerated by the March 13th solar flare. Images of the comet are featured on today's edition of

FLARE ALERTS: Would you like a call when sunspots erupt? Solar flare alerts are available from
(text) and
(voice).

Reply to
Martin Brown

reception

It's been a bit stormy and there might have been a big enough aurora about a week ago when the turbulance from the CME from the X-Class flare arrived. Looking at various sites that I monitor for the levels of geomagnetic activity it's not quiet ATM but niether is is anything like stormy.

I'll put my money on Sporadic E rather than aurora.

I have my doubts, at least to be visible from here, 20 miles south of the Scottish Border with dark skies (when there is no cloud...).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , tony sayer scribeth thus

For those who might be interested;)...

tony sayer

I lost bbc1 2 bbc news and some others a day or so back at Crystal Palace, even though line of sight. I had to do a retune the next morning to make it work again. I wonder if anyone actually tested the robustness in the face of interference like this? With the lower quality of the error correction coming and an increase in power, one might expect more of the same in future lift conditions. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And the presence of fog and all that sort of stuff causes temperature inversions which tend to encourage ducting. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Might not help much, but you can usually see a tendency for all signals to come from the north in this case and I've not noticed this. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

well its all a question of relative signal strength..in my case I am 'looking' at Belgium and Germany 'through' only a couple of KW of actual MUX on the one that was in trouble.

Going to 100KW will certainly fix the issues.

I think as long as the wanted is 10dB above the unwanted, clean reception is possible.

The whole changeover thing is supposed to sort all this out - at least as far as UK stations go.

As far as trop. scatter or whatever it is, one hopes that the inverse square law takes care of over the horizon co channel crap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher