Hmm..OT

Is this a trend?
Mail notification of pending gas bill from BG. Nothing through the post for a week so I downloaded a copy.
This morning an informative from BG that *as I am managing my account on line they will discontinue sending paper copies*!
Something similar but unacknowledged from NatWest. I needed some account information so fetched some PDF from their site. They promptly stopped sending paper statement copies from that account but continued for the other 2 accounts!
--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

I switched to internet management of gas/elec years back, I don't miss the bundles of statements/

I had to opt for paperless statements on various bank accounts, don't remember any deciding to impose them on me.
There is probably a checkbox somewhere to undecide it. but one of the reasons I never go to web sites is that their formats are often inaccessible being geared to the sighted. brian
--
----- -

+1
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 39th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183
Huge wrote:

Should be cheaper. most of ours charge for paper accounts.

My account offers no reward for giving up paper accounts except for the warm glow of saving the planet. And perhaps the longer availability of online records, though this is a little ambiguous.
--

Roger Hayter

And in these cases, I refuse to do it.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 40th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183
Huge wrote:

I used to be stubborn like that, then every January I'd spend days hunting for various bank statements for the tax return, the online history was useless as it only went back a few months ... having converted to paperless banking a full history of archived PDFs are available.
On 28/11/2017 10:04, Andy Burns wrote:

I still get the best of both worlds with HSBC. I use online banking but declined the option of going paperless and I can still view online statements for the last 6 years.
--
Mike Clarke

Only until the day you close the account, at which point you lose access to the history, unless you create and maintain the archive, and here you are again, doing something yourself you actually pay someone else to do (like self-service checkouts at supermarkets, which I also will not use.)
--
Today is Boomtime, the 40th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183
Never heard of it. Sounds a bit like nobody understands the system and hence are not aware its happening what you need is a human. Brian

I hope you don't do this kind of thing for a living.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 39th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183

A new trend seen in a few places is to stop online access if you receive paper statements. You can still login and see the last transactions up to your previous statement but they no longer provide access to any transactions before that online. That's a right pain if you want to search your history for a particular transaction.
Another one is only going back 12 months from today, which is no good if you want to do something based on a fixed annual range like your accounting period.
How to lose customers 101...
Theo
On 27/11/2017 10:00, Tim Lamb wrote:

This will really bite you in the backside when you try to prove who you are to a bank and have no paper utility bills or statements to show!
The list A list B proof of ID has become a joke. The only people who are not disadvantaged by it are the professional money launderers.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Martin Brown wrote:

The last time I applied for a bank account was at 3 o'clock in the morning, I provided my name and address and consent for them to do searches, it was confirmed as open a few hours later and I was able to make a transfer to it straight away.

Quite. I've ended up being treasurer for a small club. Turnover about £2500 a year max. Income mainly cash. Wanted a bank account for it, but had no idea about what was available now as I've had mine for getting on for 60 years. ;-)
Initially thought about one where I could pay in cash easily - which ruled out my own bank. Nothing suitable I could find - so decided to open another account with my own bank - and did it online. Ended up with a current account by mistake. But it actually does more than I wanted. The answer to the cash income was simply to do a credit transfer from my account to it for the amount, and spend the cash myself.
--
*Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.*

Dave Plowman wrote:

When I wanted a new business account, I tried my personal bank of 35 years standing, they wanted a fortnight just for an appointment.
I crossed the road to an ex-building society and opened one (two actually) there and then. They did need to see my passport which I had with me, but didn't ask for utility bills (perhaps due to the separation between me as an individual and as a business?)
My personal bank also closed my branch without thinking it worth mentioning to me, about the only reasons I stay with them are because the sort/account codes are burnt into my brain, and I get free CHAPS transfers, there doesn't seem to be much loyalty from their side ...

Spot on.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 39th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183

Not necessarily. Many banks will accept self printed pdf documents. This does presuppose that you own a printer of course.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls