Are Antenna TVs Making A Comeback?

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) - Eight million people are expected to cut the cord in

2018, according to research firm eMarketer, in part because of advancedstreaming services, and in part because of high monthly bills. Yet another growing alternative to cable and satellite is as old as television itself: over-the-air antennas.

Tom McGlynn runs Mr. Free HDTV Man, one of several TV antenna installation companies in the Twin Cities. He says he's getting so many requests, he can't keep up.

He and his four-man team recently decided they will have to start turning potential customers down and raise their installation price. Today, their service costsbetween $350-$450 with access to at least 26 channels in the metro area.

His team first does an assessment on a home to get a sense of its reception. The physical antenna could vary in size and location, but usually gets installed on the roof or in the attic. He guarantees it works-rain or shine-on all kinds of homes, condos or apartment buildings.

"We've done thousands of installations so far," said McGlynn. "We've never been stumped once."

The channels come in at high definition from Shoreview's towers, and reaches a roughly 100 mile radius.

"Our demographics are from the millennials who traditionally streamed, now they want to add local television, all the way up to the seniors and the cord cutters and in between," said McGlynn.

Reply to
BurfordTJustice

I am back on an OTA TV and I don't miss the satellite/Cable. I can live the rest of my life without cable news. Most of the "rerun channels" are on sub channels of the OTA stations now. (Grit, MeTV etc) and all of that history nature stuff is on Amazon or Netflix, without commercials.

Reply to
gfretwell

Cozi is on the same independent that carries Grit, GetTV, Buzzer and Bounce here. They are all reruns of old network shows.

Reply to
gfretwell

If you complement OTA with Roku (which cost $30 for "Roku Express" and has no subscription fees), then you get YouTube for instance, which meets almost all of my viewing needs. The only thing I really miss is CNBC. --But I'm not paying $30/mo for that.

Reply to
Bill

My smart TV does You Tube and all of the streaming services and I have PCs connected to the other 2 big screens so they get anything you can find on the internet. We do most of it through Netflix and Amazon.

Reply to
gfretwell

My Samsung TV ORIGINALLY supported YouTube on it's own. Then Google updated it's technology, and evidently (!) no one was interested in upgrading the software for the previously-sold Samsung TVs. Lesson learned ("Don't buy a TV for its software!"). That said, if yours ever stops, picking up Roku is a quick and cheap fix. I wish I had found it sooner.

and I have

Reply to
Bill

To be honest we never even tried to watch You Tube on the smart TV but I do look at it on my PC connected TV in the living room.

Reply to
gfretwell

I subscribe to over 50 channels on YT, and the content I see is generally "at least, sort of" something I'm interested in, and I can watch it at my convenience. However, I have noticed the quality coming down with the proliferation of video creators. As creators get paid "by the view", the ones with dollar signs in their eyes are "angle-shooting" (copying others, for instance). It's almost humorous, how many of them have long-winded opinions about the new, yet unreleased, Nvidia graphics cards for instance. One of them will get some new news/content and dozens of others will create a 20 minute video about the same thing. Another increasing problem is "sensationalizing" with "baited titles". So, YT is not a panacea... Interestingly, I think Google is encouraging both of these ("unfortunate") behaviors, as it increases viewer-hours--which IS directly-related to its bottom line. As long as it is free, I don't mind very much. I've provided Google with feedback about desiring the ability to "block" channels/topics that I wish to block, but they did not reply.

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill
[snip]

Roku is currently $29 at Wal-Mart (there's another model for $35 that has composite output as well as HDMI).

BTW, you do have to setup an online account, and they seem to insist on a credit card for that "free" service. I found out that if you close the browser at that point, the account is still created.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The programs on Grit and Me-tv were made when there were still real actors. They just dont make actors anymore.

Reply to
Bud

Welcome ot the modern internet. Those companies are dedicated to screwing people, and forcing us to buy new computers, phones, and software whenever they feel the urge.

There was a time my computer could still get the web via dialup, using my computer with Windows 98. Since I can not get high speed internet where I live (without a major expense for satellite service), I can only get dialup. And since neither of my XP computers will not connect to that dialup, via modem, I am stuck with my Win98 puter. Ever since Google forced all websites to go "secure" (HTTPS), I can no longer load websites.

My flipphone used to get the web too. It was limited, but I could get a weather radar maps and look stuff up on Wikpedia, etc. Thats all gone too. It wont even go on the web now.

You could not even give me a smartphone. I hate them complicated things. I tried one for a brief time, and went back to my flipphone.

For a short while i would go to the local library to use the web, but after a few visits, I found myself going back to the good old days of reading books. Books always work, dont require upgrades, and dont flood you with ads. The web was fine in its early days, but as far as I'm concerned, it's gone now. That bothered me for awhile, but it was just a passing craze. Kind of like the CB radio craze in the 70s. Now the web is only for the wealthy and those who live in large cities. I no longer miss the web. Soon the newsgroups will be dead too, and I am sure google will find a way to take away our email abilities.

I learned ot go on with life, without the CB, I now learned to go on without the web. Technology has a way of taking over our lives, until some company (like google) finds a way to turn it into a money maker at the expense of it's users. I get a huge laugh out of people who claim we have "progress", which has made our lives better. *NOT*. Technology is just another way of getting our money out of our wallets and making life more complicated.

OTA (antenna( tv is likely to be gone soon too. We live in the day and age of greed, and soon we will have to pay for all tv, and radio too. Bit in the span of time I have been on this earth, I can still live without all the technology. Or I can just listen to my vinyl records using my old vacuum tube amplifier and be happy.

Reply to
Bud

Why won't your XP machine do dial up? I was on dial up on mine last year during (hurricane) Irma.

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

The latest version of Windows I know I've used dialup on is Windows

2000. XP is very similar to 2000, and should work too.

They have not, and AFAIK they can't. Anyway, it (HTTPS) has nothing to do with the type of connection. It's just the old browsers that run on Win 98.

My flipphone just got a story from CNN.

I wouldn't use a smartphone either.

[snip]

You already pay for them. It's called "advertising". That works fine on OTA (they just can't steal so much personal info).

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I always have antenna backup. Only way to get full resolution picture. The rabbit ear types will pick up the low band stations, small squares not so good. Reception through wals or reflective window coatings not so good.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Your guess is as good as mine. I've spent years trying to fix that, till I just gave up trying. Actually it does "connect", but it keeps disconnecting every 5 to 10 min. And when it is connected, it wont transfer data after a few minutes. They call it the death spiral for modems. Because the dialup is now included with the home phone service, at no extra cost, It's there to use, but they offer no support at all, and you dont get an email address. In other words, "you're on your own". I thik the problem is on THEIR end, not mine. Sometimes I cant connect at all for several days in a row on any computer. I think they shut off their modems and forget to turn them back on.

Reply to
Bud

They may have a resource problem. I was connecting through AOL and it always works

Reply to
gfretwell