Ping F - was Duxford Airshow good?

I've seen this at Silverstone with the GR4. To finish off he came in at

*very* low level and *very* fast and then just stuck it on its exhaust and climbed until he was out of sight. Left the car parks with just about every car alarm going off and all of us with *very* big, *very* silly grins!

On on a hill of broken glass and sand just off the closed section of Bawtry Old Road. Just out of sight, alongside, and just to the left of the people you can see at 2:22.

Or, on the far hill, fourth from the left, at

4:55 and 6:05 (as near inverted as makes no difference) were awesome. Why do I grin every time he opens the throttles and that whistle starts to build into the roar...?

Agreed. But the engines will run out of hours and there's no cash to fix that problem.

Sad. Really sad.

I've had two successes out of four attempts to see it.

I'll be there for the first flight out then (and the last). And will keep an eye open for displays I can get to. It's quite an addictive aeroplane!

That sounds different/interesting! The view that is. Driving means no pub.

Alas - not possible as the "life limited" components cannot be replaced as no spares are available now.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

In message , DerbyBorn writes

And the cost of making new ones is prohibitively expensive ?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Send it here:-)

ARW

"ARW" wrote in news:m0eu45$m2e$1@dont- email.me:

When arcraft are approved, the whole manufacturing process is "sealed" and if any changes are made then it will require extensive re-testingto prove the validity of the changes. Bear in mind that the manufacturing processes for things like forged turbine blades have now virtually disappeared and material specifications have also changed. No-one could take on the process of setting up and testing all the components as this in itself would also consume development engines.

Unless someone finds some engines or key components that are traceable as being certified production parts that have not lost their credibility then it is a dead duck.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I thought I would resurrect this thread to say that the Vulcan hangar tour is superb. I did the £35 VIP tour and it was the best £35 I've spent in a long time. Seven of us there (three together, two together and myself) with three guides and so I got a one-to-one tour. Close-up, the Vulcan is awesome and the guide has real in-depth knowledge of the history and the engineering.

I'll be back as soon as I can to take the longer tour hosted by Barry Masefield, Air Electronics Engineer, who flew as part of the 'Black Buck

2' crew on the bombing raid to the Falklands

Anyone thinking of taking a tour: just do it!

They certainly are impressive beasts.

I was able to see the one at Newark, and we got to see the cockpit as well. I don't think I would like to be inside one for any longer than that. ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Hoew much doothey need to raise to recondition the engines then. I suppose they are going to be pretty costly these days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's the problem: they can't be reconditioned. Relevant skills, machinery, materials are difficult and the cost can be just too much.

I don't know how accessible it will be to you, but there's some relevant information just been posted at

Nice link. Glad you enjoyed another day out.

Reply to
ARW