Pine shelving / timerboard

Hello,

I have some 200mm wide and 22mm thick pine shelving in my study and would like to build some more. But I am having a problem sourcing the wood, it seems that sheds don't sell solid pine in that width. The closest I can find is:

what on earth is Timberboard and how is it made?

Do sheds really not sell solid pine in this width? Will I have to go to a timer merchants instead?

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

It's strips of timber edge-glued into wider boards, and planed flat. Done properly, this will be more resistant to cupping and warping than a solid board of the same dimensions. Lots of pine furniture is made from this sort of board - look closely and you will see the grain pattern and colour changing across the width of the pieces.

You don't necessarily need to go to a dedicated timber merchant if you want solid 200mm board - most of the builder's merchants near me stock this size (maybe not 22mm, though, more like 19 or 20mm).

dan.

Reply to
dent

I should imagine it is strips of timber joined together to make a board. I've seen this in the sheds certainly >200mm width but probably only in 18mm thickness.

Solid pine in that sort of width I'd a expect to cup like mad. Timberboard should be made with the grain rings in adjacent the strips curving in opposite directions. This reduces the effect by the cuping from each strip being small in the first place and over the width of the board tending to cancel out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks Dan, sounds like Timberboard will do the job just fine.

Reply to
Graham Jones

Dave Liquorice wibbled on Tuesday 13 October 2009 12:08

I've had yellow pine in 6" width which exhibited minimal cupping and warping - it came from a decent timber merchant, though it wasn't cheap.

Cheers

Reply to
Tim W

Others have said what it is. I used some (or similar) to make a large modular cabinet some six years or so ago. No warping or other problems. You can see the pics of it on my website:

TheOldFellow

Timberboard is the stuff to use.

NT

Reply to
NT

Indeed it is. Wickes stock a range in 18mm - 200, 300 400, 500 & 600 and one size in 28mm - 600 x 2050.

So would I

If not using timberboard I'd glue up 2 x 100 boards using bisquits & alternate the grain rings.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

8" is about as wide as it gets in pine, and is very expensive if you can find it. Pineboard is more reliable, mainly because it's kiln dried to a much lower moisture content than solid stuff.
Reply to
Stuart Noble

But not too difficult to find.

PJ

Sorry, I can't test it as my server and I are both behind the same firewall, and the addresses clash. PJ found it though. R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Was in Homebase this evening similar range of widths and lengths of roughly 3 4 6 and 8' and that big thick bit for table tops. Branded Homebase but I expect it came from the same factory as Wickes branded stuff and probably B&Q and ...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Prolly twice the price at Homobase though...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

HTTP 404 - File not found Oops! This link appears to be broken.Suggestions: Go to www.=ADlangside.=ADorg.=ADuk Search

for woodwork Search on Google