Photocell Lights Again!

I'm still confused over these.

AFAIU they 'make' when the light falls below a certain level and switch a bulb on. When the light is above a certain level they 'break' and switch the bulb off.

So, as soon as the bulb lights, the photocell should switch in back off, then back on, then back off..............

Or do they only respond to natural daylight at certain frequencies and not to the light emitted by a bulb?

What would happen if you fitted a 'natural daylight' bulb?

My brain hurts..........

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Normally these point upwards so as to be little affected by electric lighting. They will have at least some hysteresis as well.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Mine occasionally surprises itself and comes on, only to go back off a few seconds later, and then come back on a few seconds later, the combined dusk/pir sensor is about 6 feet away from the lamp on the dusk outlet, presumably there is a touch of feedback/averaging being applied to the switching.

I've never seen it get stuck in the cycle, presumably after one (or maybe wven a few when I've not being looking) cycles it gets dark enough that the lamp doesn't make enough difference.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Some of the older ones would indeed do this if you did not make sure the sensor was shielded (or remote from) the light it controlled.

The cleaverer ones will turn the light off very briefly (say 0.5 sec) every half hour or so, and then measure the ambient light detectable at the time.

I not seen any that use frequency selective sensors, so I would not expect it to make any difference.

Reply to
John Rumm

It wouldn't work anyway - although they've got different colour temperatures incandescents and sunlight are both blackbody emissions - i.e. the range of frequencies is the to all intents and purposes the same, but the distribution is different.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges