Petrol Substitute

Hi

As Petrol is taxed because it is used in cars I was wondering if there was a good substitute for running petrol tools . Generators movers etc.

I know LPG is used but is there anything else that would work without modding the equipment.

Any Thoughts.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

I know exactly how you feel I have a big lawn to mow, as well as several other garden machines and it always bugs me paying road duty on the petrol for the mower.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

As "road fuel" otherwise the stuff burnt in motorcycles would be duty free. B-)

You can get the duty back from HMR&C if you jump through the right hoops.

Alternative *might* be ethanol, that is used in some countries instead of petrol but not without problems.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

AVGAS is not taxed, although when I was still flying it was not much different in price from motor fuel with the tax.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

AVGAS is now well over £2 per litre at Edinburgh.

Reply to
Geo

I have just taken a look at the HMR&C website and it seems unleaded petrol, avtur and avgas used for what they call "private pleasure-flying" all attract the same duty as road fuel. The same applies to fuel used for private pleasure boating. Its all here.

MuddyMike

I am afraid to say I think it is now :-{ Currently about £1.90-ish per litre inc VAT (as is Jet-A1/Avtur if not for 'commercial' use I believe).

Reply to
The Nomad

obviously came in after I lost my medical certificate. Mind you, to avoid being taxed for beneficial use, I used to keep my Seneca exclusively for business or training trips. Pleasure flights were always done in a different aircraft. Evidently, if I could still fly and still afford it, I would need to upgrade to a turbo-prop instead.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Oh yes it is! (and AFAIK always has been). Avtur is the one that isn't tax'ed.

Reply to
NoSpam

Propane in an 18kg forklift bottle?

AJH

Reply to
andrew

I never had to sign the declaration that HMRC require these days to buy AVGAS, so I believe there was a time when it was not.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Red petrol, same as red diesel.

However owing to lack of demand (there aren't that many vintage tractors left) they stopped making it about 15 years ago. I think HMRC deleted it from the paperwork shortly afterwards.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The only time I have seen that was in an ex army Land Rover, one tank was half full of red petrol when I bought it.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Most lawn mowing is NOT pleasurable!